Effects Of Power Cords On Electrostatic Speakers

Several weeks ago I took delivery of a pair of Martin Logan CLX ART speakers. I hooked them up with the supplied power cords from the seller. The sound was pretty underwhelming, so I let them settle in. After about 4 days the sound had not changed significantly. I decided to rob a pair of PI Audio power cords from my phono stages and put them on the CLX. Signicant change and was getting the sound I expected. 

The question I ask myself is why? This is a low current power supply that just feeds the stators. 

If it is indeed significant, and it seems to be, what level of cord is going to meet the needs? No reason to spend more than I have to. 

Looking forward to reading your thoughts or experiences. 

neonknight

@hsbrock

Yes, seamless integration across the audio spectrum. The character of the ribbons or ATM is completely different from a dynamic woofer. One of the reasons big Maggie’s are attractive (with massive power amps). You get the same character of sound across the audio spectrum. I never could hear the difference in character of the drivers on my ESS AMT 1D’s, until I could. Then I happily moved on.. and up… typically most of us increase our investment over time… and each level up has less overall weaknesses and more strengths (provided you choose wisely).

So many aspects of audio are unimportant until you hear them… then you just cannot un-hear them.

Roger Sanders makes two different speaker cables: one specifically for ESL's, the other for planar-magnetics.

Hi, John. Good to see you here!

After we spoke and I got to running the numbers on electrostatic speakers. Most ’Stats run voltages in the 350V - 450V at 12ma - 25ma. Current requirements are steady state and the speaker power supply does little in the context of dynamics. The only "real" advantages to using aftermarket power cables is in the context of noise reduction.

I do have an idea on this. We’ll talk...

"So many aspects of audio are unimportant until you hear them… then you just cannot un-hear them."

Audiogon quote of the week.

Thank you to @ghdprentice @terry9 @steakster for your insights and time helping me to better grasp where to go from here. My wife is afraid that I have heard so many things that our budget will never un-hear them.    ;-)