EAR 834P Deluxe with Dynavector 20 HX H output Cart.

I am using the High output MC Cart. and have to use in MM setting on the EAR. Someone at a shop said if I use a Dynavector 20X low output that I would have to turn my volume on my pre-amp too high. It seems low would be the right choice being in MC mode I get distortion with my High Output Cart now? Can anyone help with this situation?

Thanks very much!

romad

Showing 2 responses by dogberry

And to complicate it, there is the third option of combining the low output cartridge with an external SUT and the MM input of the EAR. It can make a big difference, but there is an element of luck as no one can really tell what a particular SUT sounds like as it will depend on the cartridge and phono stage used.

I don't know how much TdP had to compromise when he was hired by Quad to design the 24p phono stage, or whether the Chinese overlords substituted cheap components for those he chose. I can say that the 24p (designed some years after the 834p) is much nicer with an external SUT than with the built in transformers. Now that difference might be due to a change in loading (internal transformers 10Ω, external 1:15 SUT gives 209Ω).