Dynaudio - Made in China vs Denmark

Hi,

I  recently Purchased a new pair of Dynaudios. The floor model I auditioned were 'Made in Denmark' but the pair which was shipped out by the dealer was 'Made in China'. They are still boxed. Whats should I do:

1. Swap with the showroom floor model (they were probably a yr or 2 old)

2. Unbox and use my 'Made in china' pair ?

My main concern here is the quality of the product from China. Resale values.

Anyone with experience please chime in. 

ryanhere

My, there is a tremendous amount of misinformation up here.  I’ll start by identifying myself as someone who works for a Dynaudio dealer.  So let’s start with a few facts.  Yes, Dynaudio is now primarily owned by the Chinese.  So are any number of brands considered North American and European.  Dynaudio products are all designed in Denmark by Dynaudio engineers in one of the largest research facilities in Europe with a very advanced anechoic chamber for testing.  Design of all their products is done there by the same engineering group.  They have transitioned the manufacture of some of their more moderately priced products to China in order to remain competitive with the rest of the market.  Who is the rest of the market?  Virtually everyone selling in the moderate price ranges, with a few exceptions.  Bowers and Wilkins speakers in the 600 and 700 series are made in China, I believe the 800 series are still made in the UK.  All the PSB speakers we have in here (Imagine and Image series) are made in China,  many or the Paradigm speakers and Sonus Faber speakers we used to carry are made in China, etc., etc.  As for Dynaudio the Confidence, Contour, Special Forty and Heritage speakers are all made in Denmark.  The entry level Emits are made in China and at least the bookshelf Evokes are made in China.  The floor standing Evokes we have on the floor are made in Denmark but for all I know they may be transitioning them to China as well.  Does this signal a slip in quality?  Certainly not that we have seen.  The Evoke is substantially more musical than the series it replaced.  So much so that the I version of the Contour was partly inspired by needing to keep them musically well above the new Evokes.  The new Emits are a huge improvement over the last Emit series and are also more substantially built. The early Evoke bookshelf speakers were from Denmark.  One of my customers bought a pair and his came from China.  Like the OP he wasn’t happy with this change, which we weren’t aware of, so we swapped our demos for his pair and, as they were both the same finish, he is a happy camper.  There was no physical nor audible difference between the made in Denmark and the made in China pair as they were engineered identically and are made to the same standards. 

As mentioned by some others if you want to be biased against made in China stuff you might as well move to the forest and give up electronics (that includes appliances).  Certainly don’t go into a WalMart.  Most appliances from familiar US names are made in China if not actually owned by Chinese companies.  And the companies many think of as American Hi-Fi manufactures are also often owned by overseas companies.  Nowadays, with computers at the heart of cars, appliances and numerous other devices you would be hard pressed to find anything with electronics in it without some Chinese parts.  Not to mention that US, Canadian and European companies have been having high-quality yet moderately priced equipment manufactured in China for decades with many award winners among the products.  NAD and Bluesound (Canadian) and Cambridge Audio (UK) are two quite prominent ones.

The idea that the OP receiving speakers made in China when he thought there were from Denmark being ‘Bait and Switch” is ludicrous on a couple of counts.  Most importantly the dealer is not told by the manufacturer when they switch manufacturing to a different factory.  I certainly wasn’t aware of the change until my customer notified me.  But wanting to keep the customer happy I gladly made the switch, and as a result my demo is more representative.  However, most customers never ask about the country of manufacture.  Some may assume, rightly or wrongly, where things are made but that certainly isn’t bait and switch by the dealer, nor by the manufacturer unless they state somewhere that the series of products are made in a certain place.  I had another customer who listened to the B&W 705 Signatures and loved them.  She bought a pair and when she got them home noticed they were made in China.  She called and asked about it and I checked ours and found they were also made in China.  Once she was sure that what she had gotten was the same as what she heard she was fine with it and she is very happy with her system.

So to the OP I would say if the whole made in China thing bugs you so much (despite the fact that there will be no musical or measurable difference between the two) then call the dealer and see if they are willing to swap for the demos.  But don’t expect some whopping deal because you are buying demos as the dealer has already paid the normal cost for the pair they sold you which they will put on demo.  Otherwise just keep the ones you have and be secure in the knowledge that you have gotten a fine product for the money.

I am sure that there are lots of audiophiles who care about bicycles, especially about the “feel” of the frames. I bet there’s a correlation between tube lovers and those who prefer steel and titanium frames. I ride a lugged steel Eddy Merckx, a titanium Litespeed Pisgah (bought just after the Lynsky’s sold the business), and a made in America Niner RLT Steel gravel bike. I owned an early carbon framed Trek mountain bike (and cracked the frame); it felt way too “solid state” to me!

I also deal a lot with China professionally. Individually, some of the finest friends anyone could ever want, humans are similar everywhere, but the societal culture is quite different from here. A handshake agreement in business is not the same as it is here or in Europe. Thus, I have basic concerns about quality control and standing behind a manufactured product, and is the reason that I prefer to buy from companies with tradition and commitment.

Owned many Parasound Halo products over the years, and never one issue with any of them.  Designed in the USA, made in China.  That should squash anyones quality difference issue. For contrast, I have owned PS Audio BHK (300 monos, pre, DAC etc), designed and made in Merica.  2 bad mono amps, failure with a P20, and a sprout that had to be returned for repair.  Dogshit quality, and will never buy again from that “Made in America” stamped company.

I believe that the quality of Chinese built electronics is just as good most likely, and there's not much we can do about the shift of manufacturing to China, but I just think many of us are just unsettled knowing that they are plotting our future demise, whether or not they're successful.  

Well if Rockport ever takes their manufacturing to China then we know the end is near!