Duane Allman

On this day in 1971, Duane Allman was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident at the age of 24. He made a huge impact for such a short career in my opinion. While reading the Lou Reed comments today, I wondered what Duane's sound would be like in the pitch perfect computerized Miley Cyrus packaged product music world we live in if he had survived. I guess I will have to dust off "Layla" this evening in his honor.
maxnewid
I've told this story here before, but it's a great story....used to be a band called Delaney & Bonnie & friends. From this band came Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen and Derek & the Dominoes. Probably their most famous record was 'On Tour W/Eric Clapton'. Around this time I went to see them. As they came out onstage all us stoners start yelling out 'wheeere's Eric!?' and Delaney goes to the mike and sez; "Eric couldn't be here with us tonight, we have another guitarist with us that we hope you'll enjoy; Duane Allman!". At this time the Allman Bros. had just released their 1st (great!) album but no one knew he was. That completely changed for me that night. D&B played an electric/acoustic R&B/Country/Blues based music, the venue was a smallish circle in the round theater and man, they/HE tore the roof off that sucka!;). Afterwards came 'Idlewild South' and I was fortunate enough to see them during the week-long engagement that 'Live At The Fillmore' and 'Eat A Peach' were made from. What we commonly call 'being in the zone' today, the Allmans used to call 'hittin' the note' back in the day. Luckily the 3 times I saw them they were 'hittin' the note' hard! BTW, a great record featuring Duane playing prominently as a session player would be Jazz flautist Herbie Mann's 'Push, Push'.
One of my favorite Delaney & Bonnie songs is "Never Ending Love For You". If anyone has the CD with that song on it... and wants to sell it... please contact me.
Raks, Yeah it's a good song. You can get it at Amazon on the album it originally appeared on, "Motel Shot" or on, "Best of". You can also get it as a duet by Patty Loveless and Dwight Yoakam on Patty's album,"Dreamin' My Dreams", which I haven't heard but sounds intriguing.