Downsizing from VPI HW-19

Hey all,

I've been a more-or-less happy owner of a VPI HW-19 Mk.4 for the past few years, but I've found I'm more of a vinyl appreciator than a devotee. That said, I do ferret out the best pressings on discogs and other venues of certain lp's I want, and my VPI (with Benz Ace S cartridge) DOES produce a hauntingly beautiful sound through the Jolida JD9 Mk. 2 phono than my Rotel 1072 does through the Jolida FX DAC. But I feel I'm constantly fussing with VTF, azimuth, and the need to level the three-screw platter of the HW-19. I even bought a dial indicator and clamp and still have a devil of a time. I finally took out the three screws. But now am paranoid about a difference in sound.

In short, I find I'm listening to the vinyl system rather than the vinyl music.

I'm not really a mechanical guy. I mean, I'm happy soldering new tweeters into speakers, but I know I've already screwed up the SAMA by letting it contact the plinth when it shouldn't have. The sound's not affected, but I'm going to have to solder a new bearing motor into the SAMA.

What's a good downsize? I originally had a Project 5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point before I acquired the VPI. But the VPI/Benz sound is beautiful and what I want, though. How can I downsize to a less demanding table and still have a warm and palpable sound?

Thank you for any and all feedback. Please be gentle.

s
128x128simao
Ugh. I don’t even know what all this fussing is about. It sounds a right mess. No. Don’t replace the springs. It will deaden the sound. It sounds like it needs a good service by a dealer. I moved from a LP12 many years ago to a serviced 401 and never have to fiddle with anything. It just sings.
When the three screws are set properly there will not be any advantage to getting a lesser table. Once you screw up the cart alignment on the new one you’ll have the same problem - lack of skill and experience. For the record, if you have concrete floors, dump the springs for the pucks.
The MK IV responds extremely well to tweaks. My best tweak was the sapphire thrust pad and ceramic bearing from Applied Fidelity($195). I found that replacing the springs, feet and clamp were all well worth the investment too. If you have a period JMW 10 arm, my mods are listed at http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4881. The improvements are over-the-top phenomenal. All table and arm mods were applied over the last three years.
I recently purchased an EAT (European Audio Team) C Major that came with an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge, arm, record clamp and dust cover.  This set up was only 2500 (but was originally 3500).  The tone arm is phenomenal and seemingly worth what the entire package cost and the high output MC cartridge came already aligned from the factory.  This deck is extremely compact and free of fuss.  The plinth, like the tone arm is made of carbon fiber and it all just exudes quality.  I have it matched with a Primaire R32 Phono Pre-amp (1000), Unison Research Preludio integrated amp (4200), Opera Loudspeaker Secondas (4200), Audioquest cabling & AC power center and the sound is unbelievably satisfying.  The speed is rock solid steady, and the play back is ultra quiet.  The sound is layered with air, detail, emotion, and warmth and will bring a smile to any listener's face.  EAT previously only made very expensive analog rigs (10k to15k) but this new model is a very successful attempt at offering high quality for a reasonable amount.  For a grand more, you can get the C Minor which adds a separate speed controller, 10" instead of a 9" arm, an even better cartridge & a more robust record clamp.  Both of these choices offer extreme value in a compact turntable system and come highly recommended.
I've been looking at this one for a while. The only thing I can say is that you shouldn't be having these problems. Either you are not setting the TT up right, or something may be broken. At the very least, I would take it to someone who can check it out and do a proper setup. If you don't have anyone local, post and I can recommend a few people that really know what they are doing.