Does Every Track Sound Great on Your System?

How do you know if it is the recording or your system?

By way of example with a focus on bass, for some songs I like the amount of bass, then another song I feel like it needs more bass to hit harder, and then another song I feel like there is too much bass and it is boomy. Does that ever happen to you? I feel like I am getting the treble sorted out, but going back and forth on the bass.

Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

Thanks.

12many

No:  not every track sounds good on my system.

A revealing system makes a crap source sound even crappier.

12many OP

Some bass great, other bass bad: It’s your space then, certain bass frequencies (or their overtones), not all, are causing problems, becoming stronger/weaker/mud by the mix of reflections of those/some specific frequencies.

I would try different positions and different toe-in, I just posted this about that:

Toe-In Alternates

"Thanks all. Good info. My issue is not so much about a poor quality recording, just that some good recordings are coming across with a bit too much bass energy, while other sound good, even when they have bass content. It may be the room or speaker positions or me - maybe I am not accepting enough of the artists/mixers choice to have more bass in some parts of the song. I don’t have subs in my system, but did have this issue before when using subs."

For the past 20+ years, I've been listening to Magnepan or Electrostatic speakers, which are EXTREMLEY revealing, which could be a drawback. I've learned to find music that has been recorded well, which doesn't mean that I don't listen to poorly recorded music, I just have separate playlist. So, to answer your question, no, not every track sounds good on my system. I've purchased and use the Schiit Lokius, it helps but it does not substitute for poorly recorded music.

"Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall "

10, at most

If somebody paid some money to produce recordings (incl. poor recordings) which is not cheap, somebody likes it's performance or sound. 

What is more important? The music or the sound. The performance of artists matters the most in reproduced music. If our audio reproduces the original sound/music, we still like many poorly recorded great performance music.

The problem is that our audio sounds very different from the original music. It is un-natural sound with lots of noise (glare, distortion) even if a'philes don't hear it. To regular ears (me, women, non-a'philes), even all world greatest $million systems (and every other systems) sound un-natural (bright glare, veil, harsh noise) which are un-listenable.

So, blame your bad sound audio systems. Not the recordings. Alex/WTA