Does Every Track Sound Great on Your System?

How do you know if it is the recording or your system?

By way of example with a focus on bass, for some songs I like the amount of bass, then another song I feel like it needs more bass to hit harder, and then another song I feel like there is too much bass and it is boomy. Does that ever happen to you? I feel like I am getting the treble sorted out, but going back and forth on the bass.

Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

Thanks.

12many

I have the Loki Max, because someone mentioned it on this forum. I agree, it has three presets, plus a bypass. It helps take the edge off some recordings while opening up the imaging. I concur, get one if you don't have one. The age of the equalizer is back.

The LM and Lokius don’t play in the same ballpark as the aforementioned pro pieces. They are sonically inferior. I won’t elaborate here but I’ve done so EXTENSIVELY on the Equalizer in a Hi Fi System thread. As have others there. If you just limit yourself to Schiit equalizers and never hear any pro gear then you have no idea what you are missing. Please, if you want the highest fidelity in an equalizer, then please do yourself a favor and read the other thread. 

There are so many factors that determine how well a particular song sounds, especially the room dynamics. The song for me that"s always strange in its sound in my room is "At Last" by Etta James.  The standup bass in that song always makes my ceiling sound like people with heavy boots are walking up above. 

tlcocks,

I agree, but the $6k is a bit steep for my system and my ears are getting older. I'm saving the money to build a dedicated room for now, no parallel walls or ceiling...acoustic treatments. Maybe when I have that project done I will re-visit.

@katzenjammer27 , both of my CO’s are about 10 years old. They sound phenomenal. They were worth 2700 new in 2013. They are rare to pop up used online. But they do. That’s how I got my 2nd. That’s how @bigwave1 got his. You’ll pay approximately 1800 give or take for a used one. Other options are simply other pro pieces new or used. Gearspace is a great forum for recording pros with threads. Like here of Head Fi. Great resource. Also, look for deals and lists of pro gear for sale at stores online like SoundPure, B H Photo, Front End Audio etc. 

one of my CO  has a new hiss in left channel. It’s subtle. Not heard while playing music. And SQ as stunning as ever. But may be early age related decline of capacitors or such and may worsen and eventually affect SQ. So I am going to demo in my home in about 2 weeks the Hendyamps Michelangelo. Way easier to use than the Wes Audio piece and more akin to my CO in functionality and cost. Will provide feedback once I’ve done so. Front End Audio sells them. Made to order. Can be either high output MOSFET SS or tube.