Dodd Audio Preamp

Hello all.  I have an opportunity to purchase a custom built Dodd Audio Preamp.  This preamp was custom and was one of the last he built so I'm guessing it was built  around  2015.  I'm not very familiar with battery operated preamps but what  I do know is that they have a very low noise floor.  I also know that there are some folks on here that have or have had one of Garry's preamps.   If this is you please let me know what you think. Some of the questions  that I would like to have answered is  has  technology improved on AC preamps that the noise floor is as low as a battery preamp?  Does the battery in preamps act like large power capacitors in an AC preamp?  One of the preamps I was looking at is the Spatial Audio Raven for comparison.

128x128brbrock

Give a call to Danny Richie at GR Research. Gary and Danny were close friends, and Danny has a number of Dodd amps and pre-amps, which he used in his system at hi-fi shows, and still does in his own personal system.

Post removed 

I run a 2006 Dodd Battery Powered Preamp with the Dodd (read: Gary) strapped left/right battery banks modification. Nothing has ever unthroned it. As always, excellent advice from bdp24; Danny will likely know the exact preamp you are considering purchasing. If you decide not to buy it, please let me know as I will absolutely buy it...bet that Danny tells you the same thing...I was first!!!  BTW, bpd24 is of course right that Danny runs the same Dodd model preamp that I use when demoing his speakers.

Anyhoo, if you do buy it...and in all honestly, as much as I’d like to...you should! If you do, you’ll do yourself an almost as significant favor by following my counsel articulated below:

Attention Dodd Battery Powered Preamp owners, you need to use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKD4DCH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L1C6LCL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the charger and batteries identified above, the batteries NEVER discharge!

The batteries actually charge faster than they discharge! This due to LiFePO4 batteries and their chargers being able to charge at 5 times the rate of SLA batteries/chargers and the nominally higher Ah (12 vs 10) of LiFePO4 vs SLA.

This is awesome! All of the benefits of battery power with none of the liabilities.

Anyhoo, just a public service announcement for anyone with a Dodd Battery Powered Preamp or for anyone who was previously unwilling to accept a limited run time with one of the best sounding preamps of all time...well, that concession is no longer required! :)

Here’s a picture I took of Danny’s setup when I visited in March. You’ll see Danny’s Dodd preamp there.

Kinda hard to "demo" GR Research NX-Treme speakers because they are so big.  These are setup in a large room he’s remodeling. I think they may be building a new room in his shop. It’s worth flying into Dallas and renting a car to hear this stuff. Danny and Hobbs don’t mind at all when people visit - just give them a call.

The sound is completely effortless, ultrafast, and the soundstage is about 100’ deep.

Excellent @jim2!

By the way people, Danny’s system includes a pair of the GR Research/Rythmik Audio Servo-Feedback OB/Dipole Subs (the 3 woofer version). I regularly see guys stating as fact that OB subs aren’t capable of producing deep bass. Obviously none of them have heard the GRR/Rythmik Sub.

If I ever again make it out to Austin, I’m stopping at Danny’s place to hear his system.