Do Streamer only devices really impact sound quality?

From a layman mindset, a streamer transmits electronic information to a dac via coaxial cable or other connection. The electronic information I believe is standardized for all streamers. That said, the streamer itself could not influence the sound quality heard by the audience. I think it is bit-perfect information coming across to the dac. 

So for instance a Bluesound 2i   vs  Cambridge CXN V2 streamer should sound identical with the same connections and equipment used and of course same streaming service and content.

thoughts appreciated if I have this correct?  

dvdgreco

The ones and zeroes generally make it to your DAC intact. However, as noted in other posts here, streaming accuracy and the eventual sound is highly dependent on two other factors, timing (jitter) and electrical noise. Streamers make a huge difference.

My observation was that as I moved upstream, the spatial information significantly increased, making my Node 2i sound dimensionally "flat" in contrast. The two units had the same tonality, but the presentation was different.

Vn Video Editor For PC

SkyEmu

Based on my experience with a variety of streamers over perhaps ten years of streaming I've come to conclusion streamer can make as much or more difference than dac.

Streamer is really the heart of streaming setup, does the rendering and has large influence on timing. Having both optimized is the difference between digital sounding digital and analog sounding digital. Audition one of the top tier streamers like Aurender WE20SE, Taiko Extreme, etc against multitude of mid grade streamers in high resolving system, I guarantee you'll hear massive difference.

Example above is extreme example, but even in less optimized systems you'll hear worthwhile gains. As stated previously, multitude of posts testifying to value of streamers, we're not all delusional. Per usual, one can presume many things, only actual experience is educating.

I recently replaced my Vault 2i with an Aurender N200 .   I used the Vault 2i with several good DACs since owning it.   It is a great machine.  I still use it for convenience and to rip content.  

The Aurender is in a different league as far as build quality, support, and sound quality.   

While Bluesound support is OK , but their focus is on forward compatibility with new BS devices.  Yes you sometimes get new features but the firmware often fixes bugs / known issues.   

Aurender will actually get into your device remotely if necessary.   They answered my support question fast and their upcoming software revision took care off the issue.  This all happened within a few day of my support request.