Do my ears deceive me??

The money is in the bank, thinking of upgrading speakers, but everything I demo is no better or worse than what I have.   Willing to spend up to $6,000.      Upgraditis??   My main system is Mcintosh MX 134 that I bought in 2003, with a pair of Focal 836v's and a Parasound 5250  (250w/channel) amp I bought around 2012.   I either blew the tweeters or crossover on my 836's, so they are in for repair.   Since I've owned them for 10 years, I was considering new speakers.    The blades are way more than I would spend, but I also demoed the Kef R11s, Martin Logan xtf 200's, Mcintosh XR 100s, and B&W 703 S3.   

None of them sounded better than what I'm hearing right now from my BP 2006s.    Would I really need to demo them in my room to make a fair comparison??  Or are speakers just not much better than they were 20 years ago?   I know I love detail, and tend to lean towards aluminum tweeters.  I pretty much only listen to classic rock and roll.   Of all I demoed, I really like the B&W 706s.   They sounded much brighter/cleaner than the others.   But they had the reciever set up so I couldn't adjust the treble/bass.  I love a V equalizer curve, and bump up the bass and treble a bit on my home/car systems.   Maybe I just have the good luck of prefering cheaper speakers.   

fenderu2

@fac Isn't that the question that you've asked about one hundred times on your own thread?

If you enjoy the sound of the Def Tech, maybe check out GoldenEar audio?

I believe they are the same designer. GEA is just the “newer” company with the latest designs.

@mofojo 

In what way have speakers had a tremendous advancement in the last 20 years? Revel Salon 2 are over 15 years old and are still considered better than most anything according to plenty. Your Sonus Fabers are all paper driver… nothing new. I’m sure they sound fabulous but it’s quality and voicing not necessarily new tech that is groundbreaking.

My perspective as well. I realize it’s a matter of opinion but I don’t hear any “tremendous “ improvement in speakers over the past 20 years timeframe. I will concede that there’s been a turn toward the direction of pursuing and extraction of greater detail.

This can result in a different sonic presentation and signature and yet not necessarily sounding better in an overall sense. For some listeners the hyper detailed sound will be considered a “tremendous “ improvement. For other listeners, not so.

Charles

Post removed