Digital separates or all in one music hub

My digital front end is lacking and I would like to upgrade my DAC as well as get a digital streamer. As of now I currently stream tidal with my MacBook Pro through a dragonfly cobalt into my integrated amplifier. So there is a lot of room for improvement. With that being said, would it be better to invest into a single unit such as a marantz SACD 30n or Arcam ST60 (just examples) that have everything I would want in one package. Or would I get better performance if I were to invest into a dedicated streamer, DAC, and SACD/CD player?

also how much am I really missing out on by listening through my MacBook the way that I am? Would it be worth while for me to get a less expensive streamer such as a used bluesound node while I save for something better?

james1911

If you think you will be improving your sound over time, definitely get separates. That will allow you to upgrade them separately. Also, the more functions you cram into a single box the more noice and interaction among components, which degrade the sound.

A separate non-PC / laptop will provide much better sound in general, and certainly when out of the budget range. DACs are important… but once you have a good one… the streamer becomes even more important. The source, is critical… if there is noice is embedded in the signal from the streamer there is no getting it out. I have tried all sorts of streamers starting cheap and up to $22K… worth every penny.

I recommend looking at Aurender streamers, it is all they do. If you need to start more modest Blusound. For a DAC Schiit Yggdrasil, or Gungnir if that is too much. There are better sounding solutions in categories by doubling or tripling the cost for as far as you can go.

Keep your digital sources and your amplification separate. Integrated amps and separate components will always be valuable. Digital is still being developed and always changing. Don't buy any amplification that has built in digital, it will be obsolete in a very short time. 

Sorry I should have clarified better. I agree and do not want to have a digital component with amplification. I don’t need an amplifier. But there are plenty of DAC/streamers/SACD players without amplification which is more what I was asking about. Thank you for your input though!

@ghdprentice - I second your comments about Bluesound and Aurender. I also would keep the DAC separate so you can upgrade in the future (you can use an outboard DAC on the Bluesound (later if you want) and Aurender has it both ways). 

I just separated my 2/ch from my Home theater setup and the Marantz 30n after a week leading the way has been money well spent! It's a true world class player and sounds like it to.