Digital is far better than vinyl

I have invested a decent sum of money into my digital setup, including a decent streamer (Innuos Zenith MK3), a very good dac (Denafrips Terminator 2), Eno filter, and good cabling. But after being told by many here that vinyl is vastly superior to digital, I thought let’s build an analog system and see what all the fuss is about. So this is what I did ...

I picked up an Audio Technica TT from Amazon for around $299. I then used one of the older integrated amps with a built-in phono, which I believe I paid around $500 a few years ago. And, finally, just to even out the playing field I bought the cheapest possible cables from alibaba. Since I didn’t have extra rack space to put the TT on, I got a couple of bricks and built a DIY platform for it.

So after listening to the analog setup for a few days, I can proclaim without a shadow of doubt that digital is far, far superior than vinyl on any given day, and twice a day on Sunday.

What has been your experience? And please, don’t mention your gear or any special. cartridges, isolation, etc. Not interested in your system details. I just want to make sure you guys understand that digital is far, far superior than vinyl.

128x128arafiq

I am 69 y.o and have had both high end turn tables and cartridges and high end CD players and high end DACs for streaming content to high end systems.  I would also agree that Digital is "better" than vinyl.  However what I miss about vinyl is the nostalgia of it.  The smell of the records and record jackets and the large format artwork on the album covers. The heavy turn tables often a work of art themselves. I miss the nostalgia and the "ritual" of handling and cleaning each disc after placing it on the turntable.  However that aside, digital is awesome that it is so bullet proof and effortless in finding and playing hundreds of thousands of songs without having to buy and store media.  Streaming services are awesome and although the bit rate is less than CDs, most people cannot hear the difference. Certainly not anyone above 30 (Unless their mother was Lassie.)

Now that we’ve got that straightened out, I'm looking for a good quality dac for my turntable, any suggestions?

One of the major DAC manufacturers (I can't reveal which) is currently working on a little add-on box that will introduce subtle pops and ticks and barely perceptible needle-in-groove surface noise into the digital signal, so that streamers can have that ultimate analog experience.  Rather like the way modern film-makers can make their movies look like newsreels from the 1930s.