Did Amir Change Your Mind About Anything?

It’s easy to make snide remarks like “yes- I do the opposite of what he says.”  And in some respects I agree, but if you do that, this is just going to be taken down. So I’m asking a serious question. Has ASR actually changed your opinion on anything?  For me, I would say 2 things. I am a conservatory-trained musician and I do trust my ears. But ASR has reminded me to double check my opinions on a piece of gear to make sure I’m not imagining improvements. Not to get into double blind testing, but just to keep in mind that the brain can be fooled and make doubly sure that I’m hearing what I think I’m hearing. The second is power conditioning. I went from an expensive box back to my wiremold and I really don’t think I can hear a difference. I think that now that I understand the engineering behind AC use in an audio component, I am not convinced that power conditioning affects the component output. I think. 
So please resist the urge to pile on. I think this could be a worthwhile discussion if that’s possible anymore. I hope it is. 

chayro

You are right and it is pretty evident, especially because he can do very well paid job with his experience... Measuring is his hobby..

i dont like objectivist at all... But it is useless to be mean...

As i said, subjectivist and objectivist do the same mistake focussing on gear, as if the most important factor was secondary : ACOUSTIC...

He just confirmed what I already thought. I’ve been away from a Audio for a long time and could not believe what was going on when I got back. He does it as a public service. There’s nothing in it for him. He reviews equipment that people sent him and he takes donations to buy more equipment to review. He certainly is not getting rich doing what he’s doing. I am absolutely sure that the amount of aggravation is not worth the amount of money that people send him. 

thyname

2,881 posts

Got it. Understand. Perfectly clear now. Carry on. Keep on fighting 💪

Fighting? I’m not fighting but it seems like you want to. I just relayed my experience with a poor cable that I found by measuring. How is that fighting? Do you think I am lying? What is your problem?

You could have responded something like this " Yeah it makes sense that a brass connection plug could tarnish causing poor connectivity/conductivity" But instead it seems that you just want to bicker.

Too bad that there is no ignore function on this site....

This is a general response to the initial question, which was an excellent one. ASR provides objective information that I can use to narrow the field of options when shopping; that appeals to my decision-making process. It won't to everyone. There are simply too many options out there promoted by those in the industry, and those whose pocketbooks permit ego-driven extravagances, and become defensive about justifying them. And if you're satisfied, good for you. But I'm just as skeptical of the "If it sounds good to you" school of thought as I am of religious devotion to data. The fact is, there are better ears than mine, and far worse. I can learn from both those better ears, usually musicians, as well as Amir.

Here's a parallel circumstance currently in the news. It occurs to me that the owner and passengers of the ill-fated submersible would be alive today if they had demanded objective evidence of the vessel's safety, rather than relying on the owner's sales pitch. Fortunately, no one's life is at risk making audiophile decisions.

@ossicle2brain : You sound offended. Deeply touched. I am sorry to cause that to you. I meant no harm.

What I meant to say is your story: you bought two cables from Amazon which you don't even have a name or a brand. Then you determined which is of the two is best by measuring them. Kudos to you for coming to a conclusion, but I must say, what made you think that another generic cable bought in Amazon would perform any better than the stock cables that come with the equipment?

richardmathes

... ASR provides objective information ...

The site doesn't seem objective to me at all. Amir seems to have some very strong biases, to the extent that he doesn't even bother to listen to everything he measures.