DAC upgrade from RME

A couple weeks back I inquired as to a preamp upgrade, most likely tube, and received much appreciated advice. I now wonder if the upgrade bug should begin with the RME, although in many circle it receives very high marks. When listening to jazz trios/quartets I notice sharp piano strikes can become quite strident. I’m looking into NOS, R2R dacs with good USB capability. Mojo, entry, medium Lampi’s, Gordon Rankin Wavelength, Border Patrol SEi are a few where I have interest. Not so much the Chinese made R2R ladder dacs.

kckrs

Above someone said the PS Audio DSD senior would cost $3000 used.  Maybe the Mark II, But the original is often available for under $2000. There's one for sale at TMR right now for $1400.  I still love mine after 6 years. Detailed and musical, though not the quietest noise floor.

https://tmraudio.com/components/d-a-converters/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac-mk1-d-a-converter-1/

Have the RME coupled with tube mono blocks in a full range system and nothing strident there. Had made some EQ settings in the RME but the biggest improvement as it turned out was adding a tube type preamp and not run direct into the amps. Others took any edge off using RME’s EQ.

Just a simple Schiit Saga saw a nice improvement in sound stage and dimensionality. Folks talk about the RME having a precision-type laser sharp sound but flat in presentation. Even using tube amps, it was a surprise to see the improvement adding the little Schiit Saga pre. It is significant in improvement and shows how capable the RME is and here with a rather inexpensive Schiit Sage taking the preamp chores away.

Before going into a heavy new DAC investment in a system with a pricey DAC, I’d try a preamp in the system first.

Hey, One trick to calm down a DAC or streamer is to lower the volume on the DAC a little. I hope this helped. 

I had the RME ADI-2 FS V2 (AKM chip) and Chord Mojo 2 at the same time. 

The Mojo 2 sounded a little more natural without giving up detail or perceived speed. 

The RME sounded more in my face....front row center (exciting presentation)....with the Mojo 2 I felt farther back in the audience...which felt more natural and less fatiguing.  

RME gives perception of a wider soundstage. Mojo 2 gives feeling of a deeper soundstage.  

Speakers used were Philharmonic BMR with Van Alstine SET 120 amp.

romanesq

90 posts

Have the RME coupled with tube mono blocks in a full range system and nothing strident there. Had made some EQ settings in the RME but the biggest improvement as it turned out was adding a tube type preamp and not run direct into the amps. Others took any edge off using RME’s EQ.

I’ve experienced the same with my RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE... direct into amps sounds really, really good. Going into my Ayre KX-5 Twenty and now Ayre KX-R Twenty, the preamp in line sounds better.

I think the context is important though. RME ADI 2 units direct into amps could satisfy many, and it’s definitely worth trying first when building a system and getting things going faster.