DAC upgrade from RME

A couple weeks back I inquired as to a preamp upgrade, most likely tube, and received much appreciated advice. I now wonder if the upgrade bug should begin with the RME, although in many circle it receives very high marks. When listening to jazz trios/quartets I notice sharp piano strikes can become quite strident. I’m looking into NOS, R2R dacs with good USB capability. Mojo, entry, medium Lampi’s, Gordon Rankin Wavelength, Border Patrol SEi are a few where I have interest. Not so much the Chinese made R2R ladder dacs.

kckrs

Indeed it does but still comes off as strident. And while I do favor detail it comes with too much sharpness. And while I may be considered a simpleton I find the menu system extremely frustrating to use. And yes I am considering a couple pieces on TMR with the RME in a deal. 

hsounds

149 posts

Hello, I thought the RME had a built in EQ. Can’t you adjust this for your liking?

I was thinking the same thing... it has Parametric EQ in the digital domain. This is an interesting thing... I have an Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp, Ayre MX-R amps, Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC, and an RME ADI-2/4 unit. I also have the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, as I bought up to the ADI-2/4 unit when I was so impressed with the ADI-2 DAC FS and figured I might as well get the one with all the bells & whistles... and Digital PEQ output.

I think the RME ADI units are some of the most revelatory pieces of gear I’ve ever used. I absolutely LOVE my RME stuff. It is exceptional as a preamp, but my Ayre preamps add magic that isn’t there when going RME direct into the amps. The thing is, it’s so good that is has to be kept in context too.

This is a perfect example of folks having different preferences / experiences... and why ya gotta listen for yourself - with gear you are very familiar with. I’ve made it a point to listen to several DACs in my own little shootout, and I learned what I wanted to know.

Hello, Another option is changing the digital cable. I have played with this a lot. It makes a big difference. Also, the power cable. Try the Puritan Classic plus power cable. It can really help out your RME. Also the decay is killer. 

Since you mentioned liking the characteristics of NOS R2R DAC’s you should look into the Dutch made Metrum and Sonnet DAC’s.

Post removed