DAC suggestions for a reasonably modest system

I have two systems currently fed by a SMSL SU-9n via Y splitter.  It's time to add a new/used DAC and get rid of the Y splitter.  New DAC will feed a VTL TL-2.5 + VTL Stereo 90 or a couple of different vintage SS amps (Sony TAN-8250 or Luxman 5M21), and just for fun, maybe a couple of Dyna Mk VI, running Magnepan 3.6R.  The SMSL does a great job overall, but seems to be a better fit with the ARC SP3a1 + SET or SEP amp into Altecs.  For those of you that have had the SMSL or similar level DACs in a similar system to mine and have moved up the chain, what gave you a nice step change?  The Maggies, however imperfect, are delightfully revealing and prior DAC changes were definitely more apparent with them.  Budget is $1000-1500, and I have no issue with buying used good quality stuff.  None of my system is less than 20 years old except the DACs.  

pickindoug

I don’t know what SMSL stands for, so obviously I don’t know the SQ there.  I would go for a used DAC to try and get the most value.  A used disc spinner would have concerns about laser life, but a solid state DAC should be good for years

SMSL is a Chinese brand.  The SU-9n was a step up from either of my Schiit Modi DACs (one a multibit, the other a 3E.  At the time I was DAC buying I needed a remote volume, and the SMSL had that feature.  Yes, I'm definitely looking at used DACs that haven't aged out technologically.  I had an Emotiva SDA-2 before and the Modis were a step up.  

This would be great and save you some $$$…
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650070389-musician-pegasus-r2r-dac-black/

Here’s a good review that I agree with, and yes I own it.  Add a DDC like the Musician Pisces or Denafrips Iris and use the i2S connection and you’ll get a significant performance boost.

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac-review/

Best of luck.

Schiit multibit dacs (modi multibit, bifrost, etc) made in the USofA sound better than the Asian chip dacs though the latter tend to measure better. Their real competition are the Asian R2R dacs (Denafrips, Gustard, etc).