Counterfeit Chinese Cables

I thought that I would write this for those who are curious about one of the many counterfeit Chinese interconnect cables that are available these days. I know that there have been threads about the subject before, and I was always curious because they seem to be such a bargain. I don't really recall much about what any members actually said about the performance of these counterfeit cables, and I didn't look back and do any research, but a couple of months ago there was a thread that came around to discussing the quality of Chinese made components, and oldhvymec said something that made sense to me.

He said that people that say that what they are making is junk should consider that much of what is in our gear, and a lot of our American brands are actually manufactured there. I decided shortly after that that I would take the chance on a set of interconnects, because I suspected that the interconnects going from my pre to my amp were the weak link and needed upgrading. The interconnects going from my DAC to my pre were Kimber Select which are very good, but the other set were LAT International (now defunct) which had cost $500.00 when new, but I had reason to believe they were lacking because I have one of their digital cables that turned out to be very poor sounding in comparison to others I own.

I decided on a one meter pair of counterfeit Nordost Odin interconnects for a total of $104.00 from Aliexpress. I received them a couple of weeks later. They appeared to be well made, and the locking fake WBT rca's were very impressive and are very tight. 

First impressions after installing them were light, thin sound, lacking bass. Each couple of days brought improvements, but from the beginning I noticed that they were quieter. Now, weeks later, I can say that they are drastically better that the LAT's in every way. Detail and ambience are much better, but it's the focus and separation of instruments that is most noticeable. 

I have no way of knowing if they are really a copy of the Nordost design, but I am impressed enough that I am going to try a counterfeit Nordost digital cable.

Obviously, this isn't a comparison that is useful to most, because there probably isn't anyone here using the LAT's, and everything is system dependent. I just wanted to relay my positive experience. 

Nordost ODIN&2 RCA Fever Audio Signal Cable Double Lotus Sterling Silver Audio Cord Video CD Amplifier Tube Cable High Quality| | - AliExpress

128x128roxy54

Ok back to the regularly scheduled program…for those of you who might care how these Chinese cables sound my experience is that the Odin 2 silver RCA interconnects copy sound very good.   I compared them to WBC Mogami and Morrow MA3 and the Odin sounded much better than either of them.  So much more detail, improved bass and more layered defined soundstage.  Best I have heard.

Additionally, I compared the copy Kimber Kable 12TC DIY speaker cable with 100% copper spades to DH Labs  Silver Sonic Q-10 Signature cables and the 12TC sounded much better.  Much more detail, better defined bass and just a much fuller richer sound.  
These Chinese cables are obviously not originals and not giant killers. They are for those hobbyists that can’t afford or justify spending big bucks and are looking for “Value” = great sound for an excellent price.  Ali provides just that in my mind. I just don’t like the labeling of them as brand names.

@tksteingraber I echo your experience with the 12TC speaker cables, except that I bought them terminated from the "Audio Accessary" store (that typo kills me). Beat my Atlas Equator cables by a significant margin, with better bass extension and resolution. Another one of my recommended finds on AE. 

As I stated earlier in the thread, I purchased a set of Chinese "Neardost" Odin Gold IC's (RCA) recently and then purchased an additional 5 pairs of them as they significantly bettered a much pricier IC, which I simply sold off (two pairs) recently for about 3X  more than I paid for the 6 pairs of Ali Express cables. 

Did an interesting comparison at a friend's place yesterday; his system is considerably more "upmarket" than mine is, consisting of a Clearaudio Innovation table & Charisma cartridge, an Allnic phono preamp (forget the model), an Allnic L-10000 preamp, Bryston 14B Cubed power amp and B&W 802D3 speakers. 

This was not an apples to apples comparison (ie. Chinese Odin Gold vs. the real thing) but we did compare the Chinese Odin Gold in his system to genuine (older) Nordost Valhalla V1. I took two sets of the Chinese OG over and they simply replaced the two sets of Valhalla running between his phono preamp/preamp and preamp/power amp. 

For music, we listened to a copy of Lloyd Cole's Antidepressant as well as an "Audiophile Series" half speed master of Supertramp's Crime of the Century. 

This was not a blind test, but sighted, and there were 4 of us there including me. 

The 3 others preferred the Valhalla but personally, I did not like it as much as the Chinese knockoff Golds. The others found the Valhalla to be more detailed (which I can understand) and also felt that it sounded fuller, which I could not understand and definitely disagreed with. 

The strengths of the Valhalla were in high frequency extension (by comparison the Gold knockoffs sounded slightly rolled off) and they sounded tighter and more controlled in the bass. But they also sounded considerably thinner (to me only, which I thought was a bit strange) and that thinness contributed to what I perceived to be a "sense" of more detail that you often get with a cable that does sound slightly thinner with what I think is an emphasis on the upper midrange. 

By comparison, the Gold knockoffs sounded to me quite a bit fuller/richer in the midrange (some might possibly find them too "bloomy" there but I certainly did not) but bass was not quite as tight and there was slightly less treble energy. They had a slightly more "mid hall" presentation than the Valhallas as far as I was concerned.

One of the others commented, for example, that he felt that a sax solo sounded more detailed on the Valhallas and I would agree that leading and trailing edge of notes certainly had more apparent detail, but at the expense of body and richness of sound from the sax itself. 

Similarly, the Valhalla also seemed to "highlight" vocals a bit more, isolating them in space but also sounding slightly sibilant to me. 

In the end, none of us really know what the master tape sounds like so it comes down to subjective preferences in many cases. To some, differences are more pronounced to others and those subjective preferences come into play. 

So differences were heard and preferences expressed. The one comment from the group that was unanimously agreed upon was that the price differential made absolutely no sense: $100 Cnd. for the two sets of Gold knockoffs vs. the new retail price of two sets of the Valhalla at the time (I believe my friend purchased used) of around $8000 Cnd. And that the overall presentation of both interconnects was much closer than would be expected at the price points. 

Thinking afterward, I also thought that if my friends preferred the Valhallas overall presentation that the straight knockoff Odin might be preferable to them as opposed to the Gold, which is supposed to have a warmer tonal balance and different presentation vs. the non-Gold knockoffs (and why I ordered the Golds in the first place). 

@roxy54

Absolutely, yes, I did buy some. That was not a good thing. I thought about it. Realizing that if I never resell them that harm is somewhat mitigated. I will not be recommending them to anyone or buy any more. Experiment complete.

I have spent over thirty years working all over the world in global manufacturing and logistics. The purchase also provides food for a few poor Chinese, so, there is that. I have been in factories all over China. Most produce good and not stolen products. Most have benefited them and us. Like all things there are exceptions. Because China does not have patent laws more goes on there than in most other countries. Much happens in off beat factories as are producing these clones.