Coincident Statement Line Stage vs Jadis JP80MC vs EAR 868PL vs Aesthetic Janus

I had another thread asking about different preamps. I then bought Coincident Statement Line Stage and ModWright LS100. Both of them are very good in its own right. The CSLS is very transparent and engaging. The Modwright has very good tone. After debating for a long time, I finally sold the Modwright. But that tone can’t leave my head. While the CSLS sounds excellent in my system right now, I always wonder if there is one preamp in the world that has quality of both CSLS and Modwright LS100, and that would be prefect.

After I sold the Modwright, I upgraded to better cables and power cords. I also upgraded to the Psvane WE101D, but unfortunately, one of the tube turns white in less than a month, and I am in the process of getting warranty replacement. I also upgraded to APL DAC. I feel I maximized what I can do trying to get the tone, but it is still not quite there yet, but very close to what I want. Therefore, I am trying to see what other options I have. Another challenge is that I listen to vinyl 20% of the time, and I feel my current MC phono preamp doesn’t match with the CSLS. So, instead of trying another phono preamp, I am wondering if I will get better synergy to find a preamp that also have a good MC phono built in. But I am opened to suggestion that doesn’t have phono.

I am interested in the following:

1) EAR Yoshino 868PL

2) Aesthetix Janus

3) Jadis JP80MC

Does any of these has the same level of transparency and as engaging as the CSLS, and on top of that, have the tonal density of Modwright Ls100?

thanks in advance.

gte357s

Showing 1 response by soix

I am wondering if I will get better synergy to find a preamp that also have a good MC phono built in.

Shame on you!  At this level, stick a crowbar in your wallet and pony up for a good separate phono pre.  As for a pre, I think you’d do well to look into a Don Sachs SP14 preamp, and of it’s me I’d go for a used VMPS phono pre.  I think that’d be a killer combo at a total killer price.  You can talk to Don about what sound you’re looking for and he can point you to the tubes to get you there.  Anyhoo, that’s what I’d do FWIW, and best of luck.