Coda #8, Pass XA25, or Schiit Tyr to replace PS Audio M700

I recently upgraded my power amp from a Nakamichi PA7Aii to PS Audio M700 monoblocks.  I honestly expected to flip the M700 pair quickly because I did not think they would be better than the PA7Aii.  The M700s actually provide a wider and more detailed soundstage.  I sold the Nak.

I listen (often passively) for several hours each day.  I began to identify a 'shrill' on the high end.  Since I had upgraded my DAC (DirectStream Mk1) I initially thought that could be it.  I rotated three DACs through the system (DS, N130, and Eversolo DMP-A6).  All of them had the shrill.  I then put in an old NAD 7600 and the shrill went away along with a lot of the detail.  Put the M700 back in and used the EQ from the DMP-A6 streamer to limit extreme high end.  Ended up with a -1 Q starting at 19,500 Hz that solved the shrill, but also muddied the high end detail.  I don't trust the EQ a lot and figure more is being impacted than the targeted range.

This led me to consider upgrading the M700 pair.  I have a  pair of Acoustat 1+1 speakers with low sensitivity efficiency (81 to 86 depending on who the source is) with a pair of Rythmik F12SE subs and an active crossover at 100 Hz controlled by the SPL Crossover.  My budget is around $6K.

Looked at the Pass XA25.  Not certain there is enough power there although a Pass representative encouraged my to try it.  I was hoping to get two used and use them as mono blocks.  

The Schiit Tyr has been on my short list for awhile (prior to buying the M700).  The Schiit AI tool actually stated the Tyr was not a good match and suggested other Schiit amps.  This seemed strange to me.  I sent an email to Schiit seeking clarification, but have not heard back.  I may go to there store in LA this week to talk to someone live.  

The Coda #8 came up as an option as I was exploring.  I looked at other Coda used products, but #8 seems to match up best. (Well, the #16 matched up best, but was more than double my budget).  I will go take a look at it later this week.  Not a mono block but could work.

I am essentially seeking the last 1-2% of the detail the Acoustats can provide.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One final note.  I am not interested in tube power amps.  I don't like the fussiness of tubes and the Acoustats seem to pick up the hum from tubes. I know it shouldn't happen with their sensitivity, but I notice it.  It could be my prejudice, but please no tube suggestions.

thriftyaudio

I have never read a bad BELLES review.....I own the Ares and it is a Very Musical amp.....Call Dave Belles in Rochester, NY. (POWER MODULES)

FWIW, I have owned both the Pass XA25 (two of them) and the Coda No.8 (V1). In my system the Coda was wholly superior to the XA25, especially in dynamic capability.

However, that said, I ultimately preferred the original Parasound A21 (not Plus which is actually inferior) to both of those amps. The Coda manages a little more detail and refinement than the A21, but the latter manages to drive my mid-efficiency speakers more effortlessly. There is level of dynamic ease and breadth to the A21 that I couldn’t get from the Coda. I did reach out to Doug about having the No.8 boosted to a V2 or V3 for the higher wattage (apparently the V1 outputs the most current of them), but he didn’t think I’d notice a difference unless my speakers were an 8-ohm nominal load. So I sold the Coda and bought an original Parasound A21 for the second time. I’ve been very pleased with the decision, especially when I am powering my Magnepan .7s.

My main speakers are Philharmonic BMR Towers and my front end is the Eversolo DMP-A8 streamer. The Eversolo helps to make up for the lack of treble energy the Parasound otherwise has with less transparent preamps/streamers. I consider myself a picky listener, yet I am very pleased with the synergy of this combo.

P.S. I felt the Pass and Coda also leaned warm, so they too benefit from a very transparent front end.

If decay is what you’re seeking and didn’t feel the Coda you auditioned managed enough decay, you might want to consider the Yamaha M-5000. It’s capable of exceptional decay IME, which I believe is largely attributable to its MOSFET transistors.

Check out the Musical Fidelity M6si500.

Class A/B and 500W @8 ohms

Dual mono configure weighing in at 30KGS.

Fantastic bang for the buck IMHO

The Haflers that are modified by Musical Concepts may be a good option to try. I have an XL-280 with PA-7 boards running the mids and highs on the main system. A DH-200 with PA-4? Boards running mids and highs on a second system. Shrill free. The nails on a chalkboard thing is not something I enjoy….

@thriftyaudio Enjoy the Tyrs! I hope they are as satisfying for you as I have found them in my system. One important thing though - they take a good 1-2 weeks to fully settle in. For the first few days they were bass pussycats. The Aegir was thunderous in comparison bass-wise. Though honestly all the Schitt gear I've bought has gone through a break-in process, and things don't sound great all the time throughout it. But the bass (and all other freqs) did come in fully and wonderfully within a week or two.