Clock vs Streamer advice

Hi,

My current system is/was

Aurender N100H>Bricasti MC1>ARC Ref6 Pre>PS BHK 300 monos>B&W 803 D3

I sold the Aurender to try a different streamer and am temporarily using a MacBook to run Roon straight the the DAC through USB. I currently don’t have a huge budget. I emailed a local shop that has a used Melco N1Z to demo at home. I am going to try it out. I also want to try the Bricasti M5 streamer to see if there is synergy with my DAC.

I also came across the Mutec MC3+USB and Mutec Ref10 Nano combination in a similar price point, but I won’t be able to demo this.

If I have to pick between using a mac>Multec MC3+USB and Ref10 Nano>dac and the Melco>DAC option, which do you think will improve sound more. I’m still pretty new to this hobby and can’t currently afford the Melco and Multec combo.

zpatenaude37

@lalitk

I tried apps associated with streamers from Elac, Cambridge Audio, Auralic, iFi Zen and Aurender but none of them was as good as the native Qobuz app. I was unable to find any way of using the Qobuz app with any of those streamers except via Airplay but when doing that I could not stream in Hi Res. I resisted subscribing to Roon for years but eventually succumbed and Roon is easily the best way of managing streamed albums, not perfect but the best. To achieve that I ended up buying an Antipodes CX streamer which was both Roon Ready and Roon Core in the same unit. The sound quality is excellent, on par with an Aurender N200, but not cheap and there is also the ongoing payment for Roon. Is it worth it? This you have to judge for yourself.

blisshifi

1,011 posts

I suggest you save a bit more or wait for a higher priced unit to come on the used market. That said, warranties count for something, as streamers are inherently computers, and who hasn’t had computer problems? Many times it’s worth buying new just so that you’re not stuck with a lemon in the long run.

Or the short run.
When you run with the expensive streamer camp, buying used is putting a lot of faith in the in-house software and the parts (from the PCB on up) not malfunctioning. If something goes wrong and an RMA is necessary, out-of-warranty can get costly in time, parts, labor.

Agree w new + warranty, had an “inexpensive” CA CXN V2 and was getting faint crackling static sound from left channel through Klipsch Fortes, high sensitivity speakers. Tried a number of diagnostics and fixes with CA support, DAC chip suspect. Upgraded source in that system, moved the CXN to system two, less sensitive Focals, but still static.  One call to Crutchfield, two weeks later, brand new CXN, no crackling static! Problem solved. Had registered CXN w CA for extra year on warranty.  Have no idea if you could pull DAC chip and replace, but what if that not the gremlin? New + warranty or used with brand where warranty transfers.

@OP. Melco's app is not great either. As you have a quality DAC, and I'm working on the premise that it is USB equipped, you do have the potential to run Roon straight into that DAC. However, you need a purpose built computer to get the best results.