Cartridge for Denon DP 3000 NE

Hello everyone,

I decided to upgrade my turntable in part because a persistent hum associated with the white cartridge wire kept defeating my best efforts, & that ProJect Carbon Debut tonearm wasn't readily re-wireable. Anyway, I got a very good deal on a new Denon as above. I attached my Ortofon 2M Black with some difficulty because it doesn't fit easily into the Denon shell. But I got it in, calibrated. All good. Until I noticed one channel played very faintly. I checked the anti-skate, vertical tracking & stylus force ... nothing had any impact. I swapped the Ortofon for a Grado Gold. That played both channels, but with a terrible hum, which I could not eradicate. Finally I put in an old Ortofon OM which I'd got with my first turntable. That played fine.

Incidentally, (or not), I use a small Parasound phono stage as well, which connects to the aux 1 on my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. Connecting directly to the Cronus phono jacks made no difference in how the Ortofon 2M played, but with the Grado Gold the hum disappeared, but it also failed to play both channels. With the Ortofon OM there was a slight hum when connected directly to the Cronus, but which disappeared entirely played through the Parasound. 

So I guess my question is, before I go & buy an expensive cartridge that doesn't work right, are there cartridges that simply aren't compatible with a unit such as the Denon? My Ortofon 2Ms (I have the black & the red) were getting due to be replaced at this point anyway, so I don't mind investing in a new one. I just want to be certain it will work correctly.

Many thanks....

andykatz

Dear @andykatz  : As a fact the Denon tonearm can handled almost any cartridge between 4grs-16grs.. It has high movement for VTA changes and changeable headshell that's a huge advantage for you because different build material headshells mates better or not with almost any cartridge.

Now, you already own the 2M black and you can improve the Ortofon quality level performance changing only its replacement stylus with the up-graded  LVB 250 that you can buy directly from Ortofon and if I were you that's my very first action/move down there with out needs to change the cartridge you will have a new one with better quality performance.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

"I decided to upgrade my turntable in part because a persistent hum associated with the white cartridge wire..." Maybe you should have investigated that phenomenon further before investing in a new TT. White wire usually carries left channel "hot", assuming you are not running in balanced mode. So one question is what made you conclude that the white wire was involved in causing hum? If the left channel hot wire was in contact with ground, due for example to a short circuit inside the tonearm wand, that would usually result in no signal at all, not hum. But there are some other scenarios that might result in hum.

You go on to write, after purchasing the Denon TT, that, "I noticed one channel played very faintly. I checked the anti-skate, vertical tracking & stylus force ... nothing had any impact." Once those remotely possible causes of reduced gain in one channel were eliminated, did you check to see if the reduced gain could have been also related to wiring? If so, was the reduced gain in the L channel, by any chance? Anyway, since this problem occurred with the new Denon turntable, the scant evidence suggests that both the hum and the loss of gain might be due to an issue downstream from the TT/tonearm. Additional evidence to support that idea is your finding that when you switched to a Grado Gold cartridge, you now had equal gain in both channels but "terrible hum". In this process, have you checked your phono ICs or the input jacks on your phono stage? What I am getting at is that you charged forward, and continue to do so, without investigating the causes of the hum, dropout, and etc, that you are experiencing.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about all my efforts to root out the problem. I used new ICs on the turntable. When I switched them from left to right the problem persisted on the left side. When I connected the turntable directly to the integrated amp's phono, bypassing the Parasound phono stage, it persisted there as well. Also, if it's a downstream issue, why is the Ortofon OM playing like a champ? 

Appreciate the comments.

Intermittent problems like these are often the most difficult to diagnose and eliminate. Sometimes the physical acts required to change a cartridge or IC, the plugging and unplugging can create or mask the issue. Check the solder joints at cartridge clips. Check also inside your phono stage the connections between internal wires and the hot and ground nodes of the RCA jacks. For example take a tweezers and tug gently on those phono stage wires. Something’s going on somewhere.

Dear @andykatz  : Don´t be so complicated and play with the Parasound with out that tube Rogue and about the Grado in the Denon is almost normally that Grado     makes hum with DD TT motor, so forgeret about your Grado and go a head with the Black and its new up-grade replacement stylus. Don't worry it will work just fine.

R.

Raul, I am not absolutely certain, but in re-reading the OP, it seems to me you can't blame all the problems on an incompatibility between the Grado cartridge and the new Denon TT. Seems he had issues with other cartridges as well. Depends I guess on what phono he is using in his first paragraph. But I agree, if the Parasound has a volume control (and sufficient phono gain), then there is no need for the Cronus to play LPs.

Hi, the Parasound doesn't have volume control, so I still need the Cronus. I bought a Denon DL103R (got a great deal on one), & it played perfectly: both channels, no hum or buzz. Because the Ortofon 2Ms really didn't fit into the stock Denon headshells, I bought a couple of inexpensive ones that were flat bottomed. First experience is that the Black 2M now lost gain on the right rather than the left channel using the aftermarket head shell. I'm going to have to check the wiring & try again. But very happy with the Denon so far;;;;;

@andykatz   The next time you experience a signal drop, pull out (i.e., disconnect) the headshell and take a look at the spring-loaded conductor pins on the tonearm side. I have the same turntable and found on occasion that the spring-loaded conductor pin on the tonearm side will stay retracted in the tonearm, thus not making contact with the fixed-position headshell conductor pins for the right channel 100% of the time I exchange headshells. It's conceivable to me that the same problem could occur on either channel, thus potentially explaining your experiences with some of the troubles you've been having.

To remedy, I simply keep a toothpick handy to 'jimmy' out the conductor pin. It's spring-loaded, so it typically pops right out.