Cartridge for Denon DP 3000 NE

Hello everyone,

I decided to upgrade my turntable in part because a persistent hum associated with the white cartridge wire kept defeating my best efforts, & that ProJect Carbon Debut tonearm wasn't readily re-wireable. Anyway, I got a very good deal on a new Denon as above. I attached my Ortofon 2M Black with some difficulty because it doesn't fit easily into the Denon shell. But I got it in, calibrated. All good. Until I noticed one channel played very faintly. I checked the anti-skate, vertical tracking & stylus force ... nothing had any impact. I swapped the Ortofon for a Grado Gold. That played both channels, but with a terrible hum, which I could not eradicate. Finally I put in an old Ortofon OM which I'd got with my first turntable. That played fine.

Incidentally, (or not), I use a small Parasound phono stage as well, which connects to the aux 1 on my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. Connecting directly to the Cronus phono jacks made no difference in how the Ortofon 2M played, but with the Grado Gold the hum disappeared, but it also failed to play both channels. With the Ortofon OM there was a slight hum when connected directly to the Cronus, but which disappeared entirely played through the Parasound. 

So I guess my question is, before I go & buy an expensive cartridge that doesn't work right, are there cartridges that simply aren't compatible with a unit such as the Denon? My Ortofon 2Ms (I have the black & the red) were getting due to be replaced at this point anyway, so I don't mind investing in a new one. I just want to be certain it will work correctly.

Many thanks....

andykatz

Showing 2 responses by rauliruegas

Dear @andykatz  : Don´t be so complicated and play with the Parasound with out that tube Rogue and about the Grado in the Denon is almost normally that Grado     makes hum with DD TT motor, so forgeret about your Grado and go a head with the Black and its new up-grade replacement stylus. Don't worry it will work just fine.

R.

Dear @andykatz  : As a fact the Denon tonearm can handled almost any cartridge between 4grs-16grs.. It has high movement for VTA changes and changeable headshell that's a huge advantage for you because different build material headshells mates better or not with almost any cartridge.

Now, you already own the 2M black and you can improve the Ortofon quality level performance changing only its replacement stylus with the up-graded  LVB 250 that you can buy directly from Ortofon and if I were you that's my very first action/move down there with out needs to change the cartridge you will have a new one with better quality performance.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.