Break in for a retip?

Hello all,

Lots of conflicting information out there about whether or not a retipped stylus needs a break in. Some people on audio forums say that the stone needs polishing; others say that the stylus doesn't break in at all- it's the suspension. And others say that retipping itself is pointless.

Is there anyone here who can provide a definitive answer?

And yes, I did just receive my retipped Hana SH.

S

128x128simao

It should sound nearly like new strings on guitar. FRESH. You should like it right from the first second and you may like it more after playing few LPs

Yes stylus has suspension within the cantilever that goes bad a lot faster than diamond tip and that is what actually needs service/replacement.

My experience with re-tips is that they do not need any break-in, and sound as good as they ever will on the first play. If a cartridge has been rebuilt, though, I would expect it to need the suspension breaking in.

Retip only without any work on the suspension or elastomer then no mechanical break in should be required or noted.  If it is retipped (actually rebuilt) by completely replacing all the internals like Ortofon will do then the new internals and suspension parts will require some time to settle in...