Borresen X3

Hello,

For those who have had the opportunity to hear and or own the X3 I am very interested in your impressions/opinions. 

Thank you.

Ag insider logo xs@2xletitbe1306

333 normally is pretty forward and vocal even when not wanted ..but yea you made him look foolish....pretty funny though

Funny enough, having auditioned the Yamaha NS-5000s with their TOTL separates, I can comfortably and confidently assert that they are not competitive, let alone superior, to the Borresen X series. That would even be true if the NS-5000s retailed for under $10K/pair. And I say that as someone who is probably one of Yamaha’s biggest fanboys. The NS-5000s are certainly good, price unconsidered, but the X3s are downright exceptional when setup well and paired with decent amplification (like something other than Axxes’ 100 wpc Forte). The X series is also a much better value considering the X3s outperform the 5000s for 2/3rds the price.

If anything, the X series has flown too far under the radar for the value it achieves. Prior to experiencing the X3s, I was a staunch factory direct/DIY convert. I had vowed to never again buy another pair of dealer-hawked speakers, due to their comparatively low performance values. The Borresens upended that philosophy for me. The only dealer marketed speakers I’ve encountered in all these years that match or exceed the X series retail for at least twice the MSRP.

I’m a little confused after reading this post as I thought you own the X6 model. I’m assuming you wrote this post before you got your X6s? The X6 are too big for my room, and I was researching X3’s. Just curious, did the X6 made you change your mind about Borresen?

P.S. This is a genuine question and not an attempt at sarcasm or trying to make you look bad.

@arafiq , Yes, that comment was from before i bought/lived with a X6. I had heard the high end Borresens prior to that. I’ll still stand by the statement that the higher end Borresens (M series, etc) are a bit too overpriced for what you get. Diminishing returns on those are quite high if you have the X series.

A lot of AGDenmark’s magic dust is the front end electronics. When you put the same electronics they put on their M-series on the X-series (equalize the electronics, give it the same privileges), for example, you’ll know what i mean. Is it the speaker’s doing or the electronics? it will get demystified for you.

The Aavik SD-880 and the 880 amps (a very unique implementation of the class A topology) are unbelievable...if you can afford it. I don’t feel like spending that much right now (would rather wait on some trickledown), but, i get to live vicariously through some guys with bottomless pockets around me who have it.

The Yamaha can hold its own for a different purpose (a different type of speaker than Borresen). These guys do a lot of iterative tuning with their musical instruments division, etc. I have yet to hear a violin or a piano that sounded as real/close as it does on that speaker, i.e. an advantage they have, when they choose to spend some money. A musician will find it quite useful.

The Borresen has other wow factors for audiophiles/playback, as reported by many of them...Both brands are very innovative/respectable (in different ways).