Biggest bang for the buck in retipping a new Denton DL103R

I have an analog rig composed of new DL103R, Sumiko tone arm, SOTA TT and a home-made phono stage optimized for DL.  It sounds good, but I am wondering whether I can improve the sound significantly by retipping the cartridge. I was quoted by an eBay retipper for $900: Nude Fritz Gyger FG S diamond, ruby cantilever, aluminum body and potting. A new Lyra Denlos is $2000. Is it worth retipping? What is the biggest bang for the buck?
128x128chungjh
That sounds like a lot. I would talk to Steve at VAS Audio in NJ to see what he can do for you. I'm all about upgrading the Denon DL-103 series but when your getting to that kind of money I would be looking at a different cart.

BillWojo
SoundSmith will fit your DL 103 R with a ruby cantilever and fineline stylus for less than that. 
An other Denon retipper is a guy with the nick Needlestein. Google it. I am actually listening to one of his DL 103 retips right now. It will take your DL 103 to a wholly new level. 
By the time you spend questionanle dollars on retipping or rebuilding a DL103R (arguably the best would be Soundsmith for a complete makeover with a Boron cant and line contact stylus), you would be better off with an AT OC9XML. The 103R is older than my children and isn’t up to the level of what the OC9 can deliver.

If the price of the OC9XML is above your budget, the OC9XEL will still beat a 103R but with a slightly sweeter treble than the OC9XML or 103R and much more details and musicality than the 103R.

The Soundsmith ruby cantilever with a line contact stylus is a significant improvement over a stock 103R.  That said, you’re stuck with a 103R at the same price as a superior AT OC9XEL that has zero hours on the suspension.
My budget is around $1K. I am willing to go higher if it means dramatic improvement. I want to be well below the point of diminishing return.
My budget is around $1K. I am willing to go higher if it means dramatic improvement. I want to be well below the point of diminishing return.
Andy Kim, Soundsmith, VAS, Anamighty Sound, etc. all can do excellent work on a 103...all for less than $1k. Imho if you spend more, as suggested above, other carts are more sophisticated. One noteworthy exception in the Sculpture A cart line manufactured by the wonderful Anamighty Sound in Paris. They take the magnets and a few other bits from a 103R and create a serious next level cart out of it.
What loading options and gain do you have in your diy phono?
I just had Andy Kim retip my zu dl-103 and it was less than $500 and he said it was a really hard job because there was a bunch of gunk up inside the body that he had to clean out. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet, so can't comment on sound quality. I have had him retip some other carts for me though and they sounded great.
every suspension is designed for a particular stylus design and mass . so.. chances are it may or may not be better. since the damping and force per contact area changes. what do you think it would perform? that's entirely up to own judgment. 

There are  other denon carts like denon 303d or  103 s with line contact exotic cantilever. I forgot the codes which have the diff stylus cantilever. profile . quite plentiful in yahoo auctions. have a look at other denon Mc models 

or look at hana. it's also alnico magnet. 

If your budget is $1k why don’t you just buy much better cartridge with warranty from official source?