Best SS Amp - Pass Labs X350.8 vs. Luxman M900u vs. Ayre VX-R Twenty

I’m in the market for a used SS Stereo amplifier for about $8k-10k range, in the used market.

Source: Oppo BDP-105
Speakers: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II with 89db & 8 ohm.

The next step would be to add a Tube Preamp to connect my Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck.

Out of the following, which one do you recommend & why? I would prefer feedback from anyone who has compared any of these combination of Amps.
  • Pass Labs X350.8
  • Luxman M900u
  • Ayre VX-R Twenty
  • Jeff Rowland 625 s2
Later on the plan is to build a HT system & will add Amp for surround & center.

hitsofmisses

Showing 6 responses by riaa_award_collectors_on_facebook

I would hope the Coda 16 at that price could beat an 8 Year Old design Luxman 900.  Lets see how it compares to the New Luxman.  Yep you wont find the Coda 16 used because not enough people buy them. Probably due to poor re-sale value of the #8 which I got for about 40% of MSRP....the 7 Pre-amp too.   Well aware that re-sale value has little to do with performance BUT it does scare people away.

You think AYRE is easy to resell?? As somebody who owned multiple Ayre amps I can tell you that you are sadly mistaken if this is your belief. Any AYRE dealer will tell you the same thing. If ease of resale is high on your priority list I would advise to stay clear of any Ayre Products. The KX-R Twenty Preamp is probably the only one that will move in an acceptable time frame...and even that wont be fast. The VX-R Twenty has been discontinued so that will be even tougher to move than the MX-R's.

Since Charles Died their sales numbers have dropped significantly and again...according to the numerous Dealers I have a relationship witth they are all saying the same thing. Nobody is placing orders.

Nah. The 8's are being dumped every week it seems on Agon and Mart and these people aren't upgrading. Same old names/Sellers who only play in the Mid Tier category...not the 16K range. Truth hurts

Once Charles Died people just shied away I imagine. Same thing would happen if Dagostino or some other well known designer of a particular brand departed us. Shindo is another brand that suffered sales/interest after Ken Shindo passed.