Best for Classic/Progressive Rock and Blues

Hello all, looking for thoughts and recommendations for some “as close to audiophile as you can get for $1,000”  used or new speakers that would be driven by my NAD C375BEE.  I will be streaming only, at least for now.  I have some Thiel 1.6’s and they just don’t seem to fit the music I play most often. The setup will be in a 20x15’ living area with a vaulted ceiling; along the 20’ wall.  Any input is appreciated. 

johnnotkathi

Not easy to find but if you spot a pair of used Ohm Walsh speakers in your price range, those are the ticket.

I listen to the same type of music you do.JBLs would be great also Zu DW6 is worth checking out.

Just a hair over your budget at $1200 used ($5000) new. This is a local pickup only so might not work but the Revel 208 is great for rock. It is super smooth and a touch rolled off room. For what it is worth I owned the Revel 228be and Thiel 2.4 at the same time and thought the Revel was much better for rock with the thiel being just a bit too bright. 

measurements here.

Sticking with the vintage theme of L100 and the 4311 JBLs, another option is to redo the XO for them.  I believe Troels Gravesen had worked one up to offer.  I had the 4311s but alas elected to go modern.  No regrets but I hated to part with them.  Bought with first summer job money before college days. Rocked alot of Yes, Rush etc.  Big sound.  Can't say they had good staging but prob never set them up properly.  

I’m going to throw in a hard to find but wonderful candidate. The Cerwin Vega R211 or R212 in the walnut laminate cabinets are the ultimate in my opinion. The Hard Rocker Series in real laminated wood are the most fulfilling speakers for the money, if you can find a pair.

I’d like to find another pair for myself that have been taken care of.