ATMA-SPHERE MA-1 MK11.3 with magnepans, am I completely mad?!

I have a pair of magnepan 20.1, which I run active. I user a pair of 600w amps on the bass panels and then I use 80w KT88 monos on the mid-bass + tweeters.

I am considering buying a pair ATMA-SPHERE MA-1 MK11.3 silver edition in lieu of the KT88 monos.

The maggies are a 4 ohm load and I believe that they are a pretty "flat" 4 ohm and don't dip below that.

The ATMA-SPHERE MA-1 MK11.3 are 140w so I think they could be a winning match, but what do you think?

psilonaught

I've done a bit more reading and I think the match can work, so I've told the dealer that I want to buy the amps.

I can always return them if the match isn't working but I think it might be a stunning combination.

The numerous positive reviews of the ma-1 convinced me!

I think you're on to a winner. The amp' s those put out will be more important than watts.

I thought the issue was impedance. 

The Maggies dip pretty low and the Atma amps like to see higher. I did hear a rig that used Z Transformers (the anti-cables guy) between Atma-Sphere and Maggies and it sounded great.

Best talk to Ralph.

If you have a woofer amp, and the mids and highs are handled by the MA-1 I think you have a shot at it. You might want to also try the ZEROs with the amps (www.zeroimpedance.com); do both ways and see what you prefer.

WOW, if that works out, I'll bet you'll have a killer system. Would love to hear it