Are REL the most Musical Subs?

Forgive me if I have created a redundant thread.  I don’t usually post in the Speakers area.

I have a Paradigm sub in my basement HT that has apparently given up the ghost after about 20 years.  I’m not a huge bass listener.  We used to use the area for movies but lately a different room of the home has taken that over.  I listen to classical music and the system gets used primarily for SACD and Blu Ray.  No desire for multiple subs.  The front speakers are full range, setup is 5.1

I added a REL sub to my 2 channel system a few years ago, an REL, and have been delighted with the results.  It doesn’t boom at me.  What it does do is add the low level percussion effects that composers such as Mahler, Shostakovich , and modernist composers add to reinforce bass lines.  I never realized, for example, how many gentle tympani and gong effects are in Shostakovich Babi Yar symphony.

The REL integrates all of this naturally without calling attention to itself.  The Paradigm in the basement never did this but it was an older design and more budget friendly.

So I am inclined to replace the Paradigm with another REL in the basement but was wondering what the current thinking is with subs.  I haven’t paid much attention lately and the stuff that I have pulled discusses multiple subs, Atmos, etc, and doesn’t seem to address my needs.

Placement will be different as well.  The current sub is placed between the front speakers, and the gear rack is on the other side of the room.  20 years ago I had the energy to bury the cables next to a baseboard heat along the all, after schlepping the sub over the basement testing placement spots,but with advances in DSP I’m now hoping to place the sub next to the rack

mahler123

Well thank you for the input.  I’m leaving town for a few weeks and will be doing something here in a month or so

@mahler123 Hopefully, you're going somewhere fun. 🙂

I don't know what I'd pick for a subwoofer based on the varied responses in this post.  Sounds like you have time to do some more research.  Check out the various suggestions. 

After many months of doing similar research, I came to the conclusion that Rhythmik is the best bang for your buck sub.  Servo controlled.  Super low response into twenties or even the teens depending on room configuration.  I have two F12s in my studio and two LVX12s in my living room.  The F12s are in a 16.5 x 13 x 10 foot ceilings space.  The LVX12s are in the living room which is about 1000 Square feet as it connects to the kitchen and dining area.  

I have not felt the need to upgrade or add additional subs in either location.  They are both set to a reasonable gain and the LVX12s will shake my entire house at probably 60% of their potential output.  Also, they have sounded more "musical" than the RELs I've encountered at the local audio shop.  Which I assume has to do with their super low distortion, ability to handle sub 30 hz content with aplomb, the transient response, and the servo controlled mechanism doing it's duties to control clipping etc.

+1 for rhythmik here - they're like half or less the price of RELs for the same output and distortion from what I see on the charts... but I get that RELs have a reputation and have gorgeous enclosures

And like REL subs, many of the Rythmik plate amps provide the ability to be connected to either a low-level source (a pre-amp) or a high-level one (a power amp).

If I can add something here, all my friends with six figure and multi six figure systems are running the JL Audio Fathom or Gotham subs.  Either in pairs or 2x pairs.  The reliability issues with the top of the line JL subs has been debunked, they are made in FL USA, I don't know of anyone who has had issues with their top subs (maybe the budget end of their line).  REL subs are made in China. The JL subs have more user control, i.e. they have a fully adjustable phase control where REL just has a 180 degree shift available which is a deal breaker.  The JL subs also have an extreme low filter which allows the the very lowest frequencies to be boosted or rolled off as the room demands.  Also, they come with a calibration mic to allow the built in DSP to make room corrections for nodes and modes while the REL does not.  The JL subs by far have the most punch for the footprint, so if space is an issue they will absolutely eat the lunch of any similar sized sub.  I have 2 JL Fathoms in my main listening room and have had no operational issues with them.  I have two SVS subs in my HT room and both of them have had to be serviced.  Good hunting and cheers.