ARC Phono Ref 2 SE - Dealer Demo Unit Worth Price?

The local ARC dealer I've purchased from many times over the years is about to move to a new location and has offered me a deal on a Phono Ref 2 SE he's had in his demo rack. He retubed the unit a while ago and the tubes now have about 1400 hours on them. Is $10K a good price for this? I've been saving for the Phono 8 which is just $2k shy of what he's asking.

For what it's worth, I'm running a VPI Classic 3 with Dynavector DV-20X2H, ARC LS-27 pre and Ayre VX-R amp into Vandersteen 5A speakers.
cosinaro
Deal or no deal, 10k is a lot of money for a phono stage. If I couldn't arrange for an in home demo, I wouldn't even consider it. Its not something you can flip and break even on if you don't like it. An authorized ARC dealer is able to sell if for top dollar. Since you're not a dealer, its highly unlikely that you'll be able to get that much in a private sale.

Looking at your system, I would take a different approach to this. If you buy the ARC, it will outclass your DV-20 by a wide margin. Its a great cart, and I have one myself. But its the low output version. If you don't get a new cart, as well, you won't be taking advantage of what the Ref 2 is capable of. So now, you'll be compelled to go through with another expensive upgrade. Why not split your budget and get a new cart and a new phono preamp? 8-10k is a serious budget. You can get an exceptional combo for that kind of money. It looks like you want tubes, so you may want to check out an Aesthetix Rhea, and match it to a good cart. Aesthetix is a great match for Ayre and Vandersteen. There's other good phono stages as well, but that would be my first choice.
I agree with Z on that one and in a big way. I listen to the AR as well as the Rhea with Ayre and Vandy's at Audio Connection. I love the AR gear, but that Rhea is special with the Ayre and Vandys (5CT and the 7's)! Balance is important. Getting a new cartridge is also a nice thing.
Thanks for the quick responses! I realize the Ref2 outclasses the 20X2 in a big way and agree that if I do get the Ref2 I'll be looking at the 20X2 as the newest "weakest link".

I'll be speaking with my dealer tomorrow and will see just how low he's willing to go.

I'm not familiar with the Aesthetix but will start researching and looking for a local dealer who sells the brand.
Cossinaro, I admit that I am not familiar with the Aesthetix Rhea. But I have been around the block quite a few times with ARC gear. IMO, there is a real synergy with ARC gear which I think augurs in favor of matching an ARC phono pre with your very excellent ARC LS-27 linestage.

Therefore, while I agree in principle with what Zd and Ct posted, I think a good use of bucks would be matching a preowned PH-7 or PH-8 phono pre with your LS-27 and getting a better cartridge.

Of course, if you can get a **KILLER** deal on an ARC Ref Phono 2 SE, then that would be a hard upgrade to pass on. But Zd is right about overpaying for the Ref Phono 2 SE. If you ever wanted to switch it out, albeit unlikely, why buy something that comes with a built-in-loss.

I've done the Soundsmith Zephyr, the DV 20X2 (H), the Lyra Delos ... all good cartridges. But IMO the Lyra Kleos is really special and is very compatible with the VPI Classic 3 arm.

Bottom line: try to match an ARC phono pre with the LS-27 and put some bucks into the cartridge.
Go listen to the Rhea as well as the I/O which is their newer phono (one used one online tonight). These phono's work so well with the AR one and for the price I think they may be better overall. It's a personal thing, but I'm talking about hearing them with Vandy 7's and reference amps from Ayre, AR and Aesthetix.....Keep in mind that I too have loved the AR gear and have owned it in the past.