AR Ref 160s or Luxman M10x

Thinking of upgrading my M900u to one of these two amps.  Has anyone heard/compared the Audio Research and Luxman amps at this level (or the M900u)?

Mostly listen to acoustic, jazz, classical, female vocalists.  Speakers are MA PL 300ii.

lldd

You cannot come up with two amps more different, opposite ends of the spectrum. I own Audio Research Reference 160s and had 160m monoblocks for over a year and a half. I have spent a lot of time listening to the Luxman.

For me, there is just no comparison. The Luxman is very solid state sounding, neutral, flat, not musical, with the ability to handle really low impedance loads. The Audio Research is a masterpiece in musical presentation. Fantastic rhythm and pace, midrange bloom, incredible nuanced bass.

If you are looking for a very analytical amp, capable of lots of detail, emphasizing the venue and mastering techniques and slap you in the face with a single wave of bass, then the Luxman is your ticket. If you are interested in music, then the Audio Research.

ghdprentice - Thanks for the insights.  Very helpful, and exactly what I was looking for.  Having owned the M900 for 2+ years, I find it a little more musical than your description, but I don't have anything like the AR to compare it to.  I'll have the opportunity to hear both side by side in the next few weeks, but based on your description I'm really interested in the Ref 160s.  Listening will tell.

👍😊. Yes, this is where your values in sound meet the road. There are many people that value detail and contrast between the treble and bass. Others, fidelity. The pursuit caters to all tastes. It is great that you will listen before buying!