Anyone has a reference system where amplification is SS ?

I never heard of audiophiles whose reference system had transistor amplification. It is always tubes. But maybe there are exceptions.

inna

Tubes = distortion + noise.

They do not belong in a reference system. 

@helomech 

not all tube amps are created equal, and not all listeners have the same system aspirations, not all rooms are the same size, and not all speakers need the same power. so dismissing tubes for a reference system is not right either.

if you consider an OTL circuit, then you are much more linear by eliminating the transformer. if you have a medium to small-ish sized room but love small combo jazz and small scale classical, then plenty of tube amps can be reference quality. if you use 105+ db efficient horns then all sorts of tube amps can be reference quality.

so even with the theory of greater noise and greater distortion (a theory) tube amps can certainly be great.

OTOH in a large room and expectations for full frequency and state of the art linearity on large scale music tube amps will struggle to keep up. could be done. OTOH with darTZeel i know it can be done and not have to live with solid state restrictions in musicality.

Hmmmmm!  Try to explain this to some of the best heavy hitters of amplifiers in the world (Boulder, Gryphon, Jeff Rowland CH Precision, Soulution, to name a few).  Does this mean I don’t love tube amplifiers that I consider reference, no!  I’ve owned some highly sought after tube gear as well as some popular ones over a long haul.  I’ve also owned some of the brands mentioned above in solid state.  I currently run Boulder and haven’t looked back.  If you haven’t listened to any of the brands I’ve mentioned, you my friend needs to move out of the bottom of the basement.  This is nothing new for solid state.  Hell, even a fully restored Krell KRS200 big boy Pure Class A from the 80’s and some before that like Mark Levinson would wear that badge provided that you had enough juice in your home to drive them, lol.  When it comes to reference in regards to SS, they’ve been doing this for 40 years or more.  Like I said, “ you should get out more”.

I have Hybrid InPol - pathos synapse pre and pathos Adrenalin monoblocks. I found my end game reference and I suppose it’s technically more SS than tube. 

Hybrid amplifier would be also fine for reference quality sound ,  at least mine  Circlelabs A200 is.