Anybody use a single ended component with one that is balanced?

I currently have a single ended pass xa25 amp which is excellent but am looking to upgrade to an arc balanced pre. I was told arc works best balanced but I will have to use the rcas.

Anybody been in a situation like this? Will I really be compromising the sound of the arc using it in single ended mode? I know there are people who prefer single ended.

roxy1927

Showing 4 responses by avanti1960

WORTH A TRY.

Sounds NOTICEABLY better between my Cary preamp and Pass amp.  I have compared the two options extensively and everything (sound stage, dynamics, transparency) sounds better.  

Return them if it doesn't work out.  

FYI here is my neutrik adapter using the XLR cable from preamp, in this case neutrik female to male RCA.  

In the OP's case he would use a female XLR to female RCA at the preamp.  

@roxy1927 

i have the Pass XA25 too and use the balanced out connections from my Cary SLP 05 preamp.  I used to have a balanced amp and wanted to re use the excellent van den hul XLR cables.  At the amp I use a neutrik female XLR to male RCA cable adapter.  it may be the Cary preamp circuitry but the sound is much better using the balanced outs vs RCA outs.  

@roxy1927 

I am saying there is a possibility that it will sound better using the adapter to use the balanced outs.  Definitely worth a try.