Any audiophile use computer (MacBook) as your audio streaming source?

I rarely see any audiophile talking about streaming audio digital sources from a computer. I understand MacBook can accept native lossless formats form all the various platforms, and it can store unlimited music files in any format, so supposedly it’s the best source, and the digital file is the most purest before it’s fed to the dac. Anyone compared the sound quality of computer vs other audio streamer? 

randywong

Here’s another voice in the dark that at first used a MacBook, then a Bluesound .....great place to start .. hint hint) and then a better streamer and DAC. My wife who could give a rat’s behind care about all of this also noticed the improvements. Cabling and a clean ethernet matter too. In other words far better SQ can be had away from ye old lappy. You will get what you pay for.

I used to use a MacBook as my streaming source; changed to an Eversolo A6 about a year ago, which was far superior; I'll upgrade that eventually, too. 

@devinplombier That’s probably true, but how many people here who are audiophiles and not computer techs are qualified or are willing to undertake such a project?!? C’mon man, be real. Sometimes things are just worth paying for.

like the old motorcyclist adage :

"Ducati , making mechanics out of motorcyclist for a 100 years"

I use an old MBAir as a media server. I do have a usb to a DAC if I want to listen to my digital (lossless) crap through my analog system, but I rarely bother. 

Sounds like pretty much everyone reporting sonic improvements from switching to a dedicated streamer so far had a macbook or macmini before.

Personally I wouldn’t use apple for a door stop, but I’m biased that way :)

In any event, it’s not surprising because no computer puts out great audio in factory configuration, notwithstanding the belief that apple "sounds" better, and apple supposedly uses / used a slightly better audio / DAC chip in at least some of their products. That may help a little if you plug desktop speakers in your macbook, but in a more serious listening configuration the PC’s onboard audio circuitry is bypassed.

A dedicated PC can cost more than some used streamers, but the main point of a PC is its almost limitless configurability, giving users the peace of mind that they will never be locked into inadequate, subpar or obsolete proprietary software.