Amperex 7308 vs Siemens 6922 sound differences

Hi, I have been using Amperex 7308 on my AH,NOETJOEB CD-player. I just wonder if swabbing to Siemens 6922 would make any significant differences in sound quality ?

Your opions and suggestions are highly appreciated and thanks in advance

Simon
simonleemd

Showing 1 response by mechans

I am uncertain and think that Amperex was not a maker of a tube they boasted as a 7308 I do know of some of their 6922s. Amperex was a Phillips product and while originally based in Heerlen Holland Phillips the parent company bought out a number of other manufacturers including Mullard.
You can buy an Amperex from Hicksville long Island USof A a British Amperex . German Amperex one or one made in Holland. The 7308 is a premium select member of the 6922 production. In any event the variety of Amperex tubes around due to age and origin make it impossible to be at all certain what tube you really have.
The nation of origin was applied by Phillips at their discretion without regard for the actual nsource. On top of all this Amperex has to be one the most copied, knock off tubes, found on the market.
Whilst only a small time tube collector, I just don't recall a 7308 from Amperex, my gut says something is not right here.
The Siemens West German tubes came in a couple of flavors as well but the vast majority are Simply Siemens/Halske Rohrer (tube) and are very good tubes in terms of linearity, they keep their cool and rarely if ever get loose. I also find them well balanced thruout the spectrum they are really consistent. Some just don't want a tube this clean sounding and is a bit cool.
I found that despite it's seemingly gratuitous role in a CD player the tube you choose has a very audible impact. I ended up with a Amperex USA as my favorite for this application but liked the relatively recent vintange Siemens 6922 almost as much but more sterile and also would roll a Mullard CV2943 which sounds a lot like a German tube believe it or not. (hard to even source today but I think Kevin Deal had some recently.)