Amir and Blind Testing

Let me start by saying I like watching Amir from ASR, so please let’s not get harsh or the thread will be deleted. Many times, Amir has noted that when we’re inserting a new component in our system, our brains go into (to paraphrase) “analytical mode” and we start hearing imaginary improvements. He has reiterated this many times, saying that when he switched to an expensive cable he heard improvements, but when he switched back to the cheap one, he also heard improvements because the brain switches from “music enjoyment mode” to “analytical mode.” Following this logic, which I agree with, wouldn’t blind testing, or any A/B testing be compromised because our brains are always in analytical mode and therefore feeding us inaccurate data? Seems to me you need to relax for a few hours at least and listen to a variety of music before your brain can accurately assess whether something is an actual improvement.  Perhaps A/B testing is a strawman argument, because the human brain is not a spectrum analyzer.  We are too affected by our biases to come up with any valid data.  Maybe. 

chayro

I first heard of this web site not that long ago. It was from someone who used a quote from the site… and in my  experience (50 years) this generalization was simply  not true. So I went to the site and read a dozen or more reviews. Sorry, I found the comments and listening observations or recommendations that of no value and generally contradictory to my knowledge. 

I have been a scientist for over a decade and worked with hundreds of electrical engineers for decades in high technology… people that make the stuff inside virtually every electronic device you own. I love data: collecting, interpreting and presenting what the data is telling you. I have spent well over a decade doing that, I love the tools, the process and the outcome. But I quickly learned with high end audio this is a great way to lead you away from great sound.  Listening is the only really effective way of evaluating equipment. … although in all honesty he typically measures budget gear. 

I hold The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and HiFi+ in high regards… particularly the first two. I have heard hundreds of components which they have reviewed over the last forty years and the accuracy of there evaluations is really astonishingly good. Not perfect, but very very close. Very trustworthy sources. 

@noske FWIW, I have a great deal of respect for scientists - I double majored in physics and mathematics.  I have no problem with the tests, but I'm glad you like the pictures!

Rigorous testing is always important in technology, where the goal is the production of identical, interchangeable units.  However, we're so far from "perfect sound" that we're still arguing over which imperfections matter and how much.  The first measurement we targeted was flat frequency response.  Nope, we're not there yet.  So what's worse - a broad suck-out of the midrange, or an extremely high-Q resonance above the range of hearing?  What if the HF causes your amp to oscillate?  What if it's at middle C instead?  Is THD better than IM?  What about TIM?

The answers to these kinds of questions depend on the observer and the other components in the system.  Just curious (I've only looked at a couple ASR reviews), but does he have different acceptability criteria for tube vs solid state?  If he measures speakers, what about planars vs. box speakers?  It's pretty easy to set up your testing standard to fail either group pretty much entirely.

As I said, ASR serves a purpose.  If it works for you, that's great!  Clearly, it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

I prefer reading Stereophile (I'm guessing that Absolute Sound made this transition also when they hired Robert Harley).  They generally do a subjective test and comparison to reference & similar-priced gear, followed by bench testing that includes listening in an attempt to corroborate both the subjective & objective results.  They always let you know when there are differing opinions on a component.  The bad news is that the industry has gotten too big to cover in that depth, which has resulted in perhaps an undue focus on the most expensive gear.

Is this the same Amir that had his former partner make damning accusations before the thread was removed? The one about bad measurements of competitor products to protect his sponsors?

IMO if you have to do an A/B comparison blindfolded and struggle to hear any major differences, then keep what you Have.  If you don't hear an immediate improvement then cross that item off you list.

Happy Listening.

“Science is a bunch of guys in white coats cutting up frogs”. Woody Allen. But just to drag the thread back on topic, I really wasn’t talking about Amir’s measurements or reviews.  I was talking about his comments on the “analytical brain”  vs the “enjoying music” brain and the difficulty these may cause in evaluating components.