Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@deep_333 ....I’ve refrained from posting pics since imho most would be bored and unimpressed.... ’SOTA’ only in the State Of That Affordable v. Stuff Of Transient Admiration. ;)

Due to changes, the space occupied by it, me, and the speaker array has been shrinking due to growth in our company.

Since we’ve a ’live/work’ situation, the ’less essential’ gives way, the 5 pairs of speakers become a ’fat line array’ with the LG 55" betwixt...

Ever wall hang a pair of SMGa Maggies’ upside down? Since they’re not known for their bass qualities, no huge loss.... :)

The only pairs (2~3) left to ’roam’ (kinda) are the omnis’, which vary in intent and their elements......and the driving elements of which, my Gratefully Undead Wall with it’s A+D Divide....

"Where the digitals and the analogs play..."

I try to enjoy where I happen to be; that which I collect to move that along doesn’t absolutely have to be Perfect to make me smile.

Overtime, things change, additions, deletions, and the irrational ’fondness’ for the concept of ’retirement’....

Long time local biz contact came by to check out some stock logs, asked

"So....how’du ya like retirement?" *big G*

😏 "...’Bout the same way you do...’When the *uck does it start?!’ "

I can relate to Marvin’s ("Your Friendly Robot Pal!") lament onboard the Heart Of Gold some dayz......

"Brain the size of a planet....and they have me opening doors...." 🤖😒

@asvjerry , i like your style of writing...almost reads like a theater piece. 

At some point (months ago), i had cleaned up enough in the hoarder’s paradise to post a decent looking picture in system builder. But, some audiogon website issue prevented me from doing so or even viewing other systems.

I suppose i wasn’t always as extreme a hoarder....some contributing factors were beyond my control...A couple of years ago, guy i’d known since we were wee young (and happy) came to an end with this transient thing called life... and somewhere in his will, he’d decided to state that all his hoarded audio be sent to me. And there it was...a few months later, an overwhelming truck at the doorstep with all his stuff.

And now... it is ~1600 sq.ft of basement space stuffed to the brim, filled to the neck....I am sure i can get rid of my stuff from time to time, but, i have been unable to get to some mental state, where i can get rid of anything of his. When i transition on and revert back to star dust soon enough, it shall all be someone else’s problem indeed.

As long as stuff doesn’t overflow into the floors above (Domains in control of the aesthetics department), i can avoid the dog house...

"Only mammals lower on the food chain than hoity toity humans do the dust baths", some would say. But... "Even a lotus comes out of dirt" (to hell with them hoity toities...), i say.

Catch y’all later...I am dropping my phone and heading to the hills for an extended weekend.

A very complex question disguised as a simple query. Makes me wonder whether the 'audiophile club' has an entrance fee. If so, exactly what amount of money spent on audio equipment is necessary to become part of the club? Is there an absolute number or is it relative to the viewer? A non-audiophile friend of mine cannot imagine spending more than a couple hundred dollars on anything audio related. She tolerates sound quality can make me cry. I would say that she does not belong here. It would be a horrifying experience for her. On the other hand, I doubt you judge others for their Hi-Fi expenses and can probably appreciate the thoughts of those who spend tens of thousands of dollars.  As pure entertainment if nothing else. That's basically the boat I'm in. I replaced a pair of 41-year-old broken down speakers with 20-year-old speakers I bought for  $900. My current amplifier and turntable cost me around $700. Back in 1981. Which makes me wonder whether it's the total cost of gear needed to get into the club or how much we spend on gear per year or $/total years in the hobby. So, a very complex question! 

On the other hand, I don't think whether you stay here or not depends on money spent at all. The question as I see it is whether you get value from being here and also whether you feel you give value to others. From the number of responses to your thread, I think the answer is obvious.

many audiophiles are techno cultist...

They idolized the gear branded name which they "tastes"...

Or they idolized what they measured despising the other group...

I trust acoustics concepts and experiments over the price tags of the gear or over the price tags of the measuring tools...

i can bought anything relatively good and relatively low price and make it sound at his peak potential which level is perhaps not the best there is but is better than most can even imagine because they had no idea what acoustics means... 😊

i am audiophile as any acoustician is : with a relatively modest system working at his best in the best room ...