Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@deep_333 wrote:

In the 90s and the ’00s, I used to buy the most expensive speakers out there. I just didn’t know enough. I used to have one of the original Wilson Wamms, TAD Reference, the top JBL, etc.

As I become knowledgeable, I was starting to match or beat the sound of such speakers at much lower prices. For example, a guy who doesn’t know what a Killer sub is or what to do with it will only have sucky sound with a million dollar "full range" speaker, etc, etc. it is just the nature of how speakers work in rooms folks. The only guy who even admits things like that in recent times is Paul McGowan perhaps.

I recently sold a 60k Schwikert to fund a 15k Yamaha and will soon get the Borresen X6. Can I eat the Schwikert ’s lunch with a cheaper Yamaha and a Borresen. You bet I can...Did I eat the TAD reference’s lunch with the trickle down TAD E1TX and some killer subs. You bet I did....Did the eat the JBL’s lunch with PA speakers? You bet I did...

An audiophile is someone who cares and learns about improving the fidelity of playback, no matter what the budget is...even if it’s a 100 bucks. If his budget is small, he hopefully learns trickle down concepts, knows who the max bang 4 buck designers are (the really smart ones) etc...and gets smarter about purchases than the guys with bottomless pockets. He will also figure out room acoustics hopefully! An audiophile is also a guy who has the humility to constantly learn things and doesn’t sit on a pedestal thinking he’s got it all figured out in life.

This. Well put. 

The issue is...once a typical audioboo snob goes up in price, he will never look at anything cheaper lest it beat his high price junk, somehow. So, you will never get a fair comparison, feel for what you get as you go up in price on a speaker in the same room with the same electronics. 

+1 

Without a doubt there are few who don’t relish the underdog and the achievement of parity or more…. The world wants a $5€ Strad…. and abhors those who do not seek….

And yet….. Strads are….. incapable of being described by mere words… or numbers…. 

The heck with “do I belong here as an audiophile”.

We might ask, “How do we model ourselves to achieve the richness of life you apparently have?”

Also, we might ask for your security code. ;)

@tvad  ....I'll give you my 'insincere code' and watch you melt?

That ought to be a 1st for the 'gone.... ;)

I have more 'fun' doin' what I do with what I've brun to run than the *ahem* mere 'plug 'n play'.....