Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@deep_333 ....I've refrained from posting pics since imho most would be bored and unimpressed....  'SOTA' only in the State Of That Affordable v. Stuff Of Transient Admiration. ;)

Due to changes, the space occupied by it, me, and the speaker array has been shrinking due to growth in our company.

Since we've a 'live/work' situation, the 'less essential' gives way, the 5 pairs of speakers become a 'fat line array' with the LG 55" betwixt...

Ever wall hang a pair of SMGa Maggies' upside down?  Since they're not known for their bass qualities, no huge loss.... :)

The only pairs (2~3) left to 'roam' (kinda) are the omnis', which vary in intent and their elements......and the driving elements of which, my Gratefully Undead Wall with it's A+D Divide....

"Where the digitals and the analogs play..."

I try to enjoy where I happen to be; that which I collect to move that along doesn't absolutely have to be Perfect to make me smile.

Overtime, things change, additions, deletions, and the irrational 'fondness' for the concept of 'retirement'....

Long time local biz contact came by to check out some stock logs, asked 

"So....how'du ya like retirement?" *big G*

😏 "...'Bout the same way you do...'When the *uck does it start?!' "

I can relate to Marvin's ("Your Friendly Robot Pal!") lament onboard the Heart Of Gold some dayz......

"Brain the size of a planet....and they have me opening doors...." 🤖😒

@tomic601 ... I'll put that on my dance card, but the Pac NW is most likely when we @ AshPlay get a client with taste, money, 'a Vision', mo' money, and a desire to take the Treehouse Master Mob to task.....and even more $s' ....

(We'll need someone to shoot vids and droning.....ley lines in the land...*mystic move*....."....always wanted to 'do' a FLW in the trees...." )

We shall Do Better than th' Peel, yezz....but, if we must....a round, a fat rounder, and off to see what one sees 'round here....

Intermissioned under Interlude 

Bring the car comfy 'nuff to make the Real Road Rallye 2X and you can meet The Dragon and some other nifty drives....

Bear in mind (got those, too) that AVL was once called "A Cesspool Of SIN!" by a NC House rep during an election run-up 'while back...

...which we'all thought amusing and printed shirts... ;)

C'ya on the pm

@snilf, we are kindred spirits; I identified strongly with your post and have wondered the same thing, though (like you, I imagine) I don’t lie awake nights agonizing over it. Based on my observations, there are many layers to this thing.@ghdprentice has defined very well the most extreme, to which he belongs, and I am thankful for those like him who have great knowledge gained from deep experience (and expenditure) and who are, at the same time humble, being both willing and able to share with others less fortunate or just less fanatic.

I, like you, have a system with which I am very happy and with which I do not fiddle.  My friends would certainly consider me an audiophile.  I put some serious time and money (but well less than $50k overall) into building my system and am very pleased with it every time I turn it on.  I love music of (almost) every variety, and I am preoccupied with the fidelity of its reproduction, but not to the point of obsession. As a music lover and engineer, audio reproduction both interests and touches me on multiple levels

I find myself daily reading selected posts here, but by no means all. But I do come here almost every day.

If I had considerably more resources, I could certainly see myself moving toward “more than the cost of two cars” systems housed in a purpose-built structure somewhere on a beautiful site with a picture window onto breathtaking scenery. That, however, is not my lot, and I consider myself very blessed to both have some understanding of what is possible and still be happy every time I listen to my rig. 

Thank you for provoking me to thought this morning. 

it could be very easy to feel alienated from this forum. i like it, but its definitely a challenge. this one is far from representative of the audiophile community, so if youre not right for it, and if youre looking for a home, there are far better forums/fora.

so some days im more able to ignore the compulsive thread crapping and flat eartherism by the same internet personas over and over, and i can still learn from the experience and expertise of members and the collective knowledge & experience shared in these discussions. some a these discussions contain some great information and experience and i dont even notice if theres any nonsense. 

but if it aint for you, you have options, so dont waste your time. why not go somewehre better?

I’ve refrained from posting pics since imho most would be bored and unimpressed.... ’SOTA’ only in the State Of That Affordable v. Stuff Of Transient Admiration. ;)

Well said...

I posted only my basic components images... not my acoustic corner which is not esthetical and i never really posted the complete photos of my lost acoustic room with my 100 tuned resonators, just the first images at the beginning which were atrocious and more than unesthetical, this stir the pot of many and i was attacked for a week by a well known seller of tweaks here which never like my homemade motto : dont buy tweaks if you can do them yourself ...

As you my system is SOTA+C  ... 😊 State Of That Affordable and creative ...