Adding an Sub that doesn't go well below speakers?

The backbone of my setup is based on a couple of Canor Monoblocks that feed a pair of Marten Oscar Trio. The trio are rated for 27hz (-3db), but I still feel that the system would benefit of having one or two subwoofers that help both of below 27 while also allowing more breathing space for the speakers.

I was considering a couple of REL T5X because of the little footprint as well as the high line connections (the amps don't have a dedicated low-level sub out). But just before pulling the trigger, I saw that the T5X is rated at 37hz (-6db). 

Would it make sense to add them to the system? Doesn't sound right. I know probably the Martens roll off above 27, but perhaps 37hz sub is too high for my system.

Perhaps a T9X that goes to the same 27hz? Or do I definitely need to splurge and do for an S series, like the S510 that is rated at 20 hz? If I do an S510 I will do just one and add a second once my wallet recovers.

Well, would love to hear from you. 

128x128javipi

@javipi   I would check out the Rythmik subs as well.  If I recall, they go lower then the REL (double check) and have servo feedback.  

@12many

How do you do this?

Without instrumentation, the best program is something that has a lot of air, significant low end and plenty of mids.

Being of Scots heritage, I naturally had well recorded Pipe and Drum bands. It’s the best program ever for dialing in subs. When you get it right, the focus snaps in!

Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor recorded in a great space is also a favorite.

See ieLogical Subterranean Homesick Blues Setup

First off, I'd love to hear that kit in person. Regarding the REL's, I believe those Marten's would require the speed of the S series in order to fully disappear in the mix. As an added benefit they go deeper. If you spoke with REL, which is easy to do, I'm sure they'd make the same recommendation.

Post removed