Add a subwoofer?

I run a pair of Cornwall 1’s driven by primaluna, VPI, and Sutherland 20/20.  Room is 34 x14 x 14 high.  I love the Klipsch, but never felt like they were overly heavy bass.  I’m curious about a subs ability to “fill in” the sound.  I called a dealer regarding REL’s smaller products.  I was told that the Cornwall has huge bass and I’d need a very large sub to notice a difference.   Really can’t afford a quality big subwoofer.  ie thousands of dollars.  Not wanting thumping bass, just fuller sound.  No experience with subwoofers so, ,,,,
Thanks for your input.  

george53

james633,

This is what I use to convert my speaker level to balance for use with my JL Subs. The JL subs have an excellent internal calibration for the room placement.

SP-2SX | Jensen Transformers (jensen-transformers.com)

ozzy

If you just want a little more bass, but don't have much money, how about adding a simple Schiit Lokius to add a bit more umph down low?  2 of the lowest bands are at 20Hz and 120Hz so feathering in those controls to taste should give you what you want.

You might want to consider a mighty 8” wonder from B&W, the ASW608. In the video below a gentleman tells of how well the ASW608 blended with his Cornwalls.

I don’t have Cornwalls but I decided to try them in my system. I added two and they are excellent. B&W provides some very good basic DSP options on it for ease of blending with your speakers. They are small, unobtrusive and made well. For an idea of how they look check out my system pictures.

Adding the subs has been the best thing I have done for my system.

Cheers,

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YtBFD473U&t=3s

In your case adding a subwoofer is a bad idea. To improve the sound quality you would need to add two 15” subs and a two way crossover. This is much more than you wish to spend. One sub will not keep up with your Cornwalls.

To improve the sound quality you would need to add two 15” subs and a two way crossover.

I disagree with this completely.  You don’t need 15” subs as even 12” subs will be more than adequate in your situation, and using the adjustments on a good sub and proper setup will be more than fine without an external 2-way crossover.  Could it possibly be better with bigger subs and an external crossover?  Yeah, but at much higher cost but you’ll still get very significant performance improvements without those things and to say otherwise is really just silly talk IMHO.  Try the SVS subs risk free as I suggested above and you’ll see just how much benefit you can get for relatively not much $$$.