A Sanely Priced Power Conditioner That Actually Works - OnFilter PDU

Hello all,

As the title may suggests this is my review of OnFilter’s PDU (Power Distribution Unit) which is power conditioner (EMI + RFI Filtering) plus power strip. I very well know this might be a controversial topic, but I will still go ahead. As a disclaimer, I am not affiliated with OnFilter nor have I received discount on my PDU (yes, I have paid the full price) or I haven’t received any review unit. As the brand is not known in the Audiophile world, I am going to deviate from my usual style of writing the review.

So, I will begin with little about company & the brain behind the product. OnFilter is a US based company specializing in EMI & EMC related products which are geared for research institutes, Semiconductor Manufacturing, Telecom, Datacenters, Medical industry etc. As per it’s founder, owner Vladimir Kraz the use of its products in Audio is just a co-incidence & he never really designed any product with audio in mind. For use in Audio, he has two products AC Emi filter (with two outlets/sockets of your choice) & PDU which is essentially the same product as AC EMI filter with 8 outlets/sockets.

Vladimir has a solid credentials when it comes to EMI & EMC industry with over 40 years of experience in EMI, ESD & EMC industry & has been part of committee deciding EMC standards for Semiconductor manufacturing  (along with being Director of Instrumentation at 3M). He has at least two dozen patents (either solo or co-authored) in the same field. In short, he is extremely knowledgeable and knows exactly what he is doing.

When I was searching for a power conditioner, I was looking for couple of things like the product, designer & reputation. While all Audiophile companies manufacturing the power conditioners have good reputation, but it’s limited audiophile world only. You won’t find any audiophile brand being used in a very strict & demanding application. Here only OnFilter had that reputation (but not known in the Audiophile world).

Secondly the designer’s background. Though this was the least important criteria but still it tells one about what to expect from the products. Obviously here Vladimir was ahead of the competition because of his such an extensive background in the relevant field. Besides he has patents which are not laughable like some of the other company’s designers have. Pure science & engineering.

Lastly & the most important; product & it’s performance. While all the products from audiophile companies are extremely well built (maybe even better build than OnFilter), but when it comes to its performance, they keep it either completely subjective or specify very little. Now, having studied science, electronics & electricity all throughout my academics, even in my masters; I know very well that power is the only part of the system which can be gauged completely objectively. So, finding all the audiophile companies either skip on the actual performance data was a shock to me when the cost of the piece can go as high as $26K.

I even contacted couple of manufacturers (Shunyata & IsoTek) to know about their performance specs, but to my surprise the reply that I got from them was they do not measure the performance of their product & they don’t believe in it. Instead, they prefer in hearing the improvement & go by telling the customer that their product is good because it was used in some albums re-mastering. Having heard these replies left me absolutely speechless & for a moment if all my learning was wrong. Afterall these most of these products (power conditioners) do nothing but EMI filtering. So, for a conditioner the most relevant performance spec is attenuation of noise over range of frequencies in lab environment (using 50 ohms resistance symmetric case of 50:50) & in real-life load resistances (1:100 or 100:1 case) specified as a chart for Common Mode & Differential mode. That’s it, no other performance spec is necessary for EMI reduction. Other things about product like its output resistance change as per the load, power factor correction (if applicable) etc. make the product description complete. So that when one sees them, they know exactly what to expect from that product 9at-least that’s how it works in engineering world).

I have gone through specification & user manuals/product sheets of all major brands & have compiled a table below. Here in the performance attenuation, Mode & specified load is important. The classic case being regular consumer filers from Schaffner. Looking at the table, Schaffner would look like the best bang for buck filter. But the numbers are deceptively specified for lab conditions & they have removed the real-life load performance data from their datasheet which shows amplification of the noise in the 100KHz region where some of the EMI source operate (like SMPS of LED lighting).

Sr. No. Manufacturer Model EMI/Noise Reduction Frequency Range Specified Mode Specified Load Specified Cost
1 Shunyata Everest More than 50dB, 68db @ 1 Mhz 100 KHz to 30 Mhz No No USD 9,900
2 Shunyata Gemini More than 40dB, 28dB @ 1 Mhz 100 KHz to 30 Mhz No No USD 1,998
3 Shunyata Venom PS10 More than 24dB, 28dB @ 1 Mhz 100 KHz to 30 Mhz No No USD 900
4 Audioquest Niagra 5000 More than 30db for CM & more than 28 dB for DM 3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DM & 60 Hz to 100Mhz for CM Yes, CM & DM 10 to 50 ohms USD 5,900
5 Audioquest Niagra 7000 More than 30db for CM & more than 28 dB for DM 3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DM & 60 Hz to 100Mhz for CM Yes, CM & DM 10 to 50 ohms USD 11,000
6 Audioquest PowerQuest 303 More than 22 dB for DM 3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DM Yes, DM 10 to 50 ohms USD 460
7 Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX Not Specified No No No USD 27,995
8 Synergistic Research PowerCell SX Not Specified No No No USD 9,000
9 Synergistic Research PowerCell ONE  Not Specified No No No USD 1,095
10 PS Audio Power Plant 20 More than 80 dB 100 KHz to 2 MHz No No USD 8,000
11 PS Audio Power Plant 15 More than 80 dB 100 KHz to 2 MHz No No USD 6,399
12 PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 Not Specified No No No USD 2,399
13 IsoTek EVO3 Super Titan 85dB No No No USD 12,495
14 IsoTek V5 Titan 85dB No No 50 ohms USD 4,995
15 IsoTek V5 Elektra 55dB No No No USD 1,695
16 Puritan Audio PSM 156 Not Specified No No No USD 2,400
17 Puritan Audio PSM 136 Not Specified No No No USD 2,100
18 OnFilter AF Series Graph Provided for CM & DM. Max 98dB in DM, Max 62db in CM 10 KHz to 50 MHz Yes, CM & DM  1:100 USD 650
19 Schaffner FN 2090 20A Graph Provided for CM & DM. Max 100dB in DM, Max 82db in CM 10 KHz to 100 MHz Yes, CM & DM  50:50 USD 70
20 Furman Prestige Series P-2400 AR Power Conditioner 10dB @ 10KHz, 40dB @ 100KHz, 50dB @ 500KHz 10 KHz to 500 KHz No No USD 1,350
21 Furman Prestige Series P-2400 IT Power Conditioner 10dB @ 10KHz, 40dB @ 100KHz, 50dB @ 500KHz in DM, 80dB @ 20KHz, 40dB @ 20KHz to 1 MHz in CM 10 KHz to 1 MHz Yes, CM & DM No USD 2,100
22 Transparent Audio OPUS PowerIsolator Not Specified No No No USD 17,000
23 Transparent Audio REFERENCE PowerIsolator Not Specified No No No USD 7,600
24 Transparent Audio PowerBank 6 Power Conditioner Not Specified No No No USD 995

If one has patience to read about this issue with performance variation as per the load, then go through this magazine’s (EMC/EMI product’s magazine) page no. 34 where another person is explaining the same issue.

https://interferencetechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-IT_EMC_Filters_Guide_Low-Res.pdf

Besides all of this, even if the product is very well speced, there is no guarantee that it will improve sound for following reasons.

1. EMI/Filteration Performance :- This is obvious factor which doesn't need any explanation.

2. EMI/RFI on power line :- Now we don't really measure how much polluted our lines are before we even use an power conditioning. So if a line is very clean then  even if best power conditioner is used it will not really have any impact on SQ.

3. Power Design of the component :- Some companies recommend plugging directly into the wall outlet. In those case & other cases here power stage is very well designed and takes care of dirty power is naturally going to sound same as with any power conditioner.

4. Personal bias and hearing ability :- Everyone has different hearing ability and not everyone can distinguish the changes which are subtle. Besides bias is very true and it can change one's perception to a large amount the way he perceives changes in SQ.

So if you consider all this you will understand why it's not a great idea to find correlation between SQ and EMI reduction.

Now enough of the background and theory & coming to the review of the product in hand. Build quality of the PDU is also first rate. Very sturdy & industrial design. Bonus part is it has a display which shows incoming voltage value, total Current Drawn, Power consumption & total power/energy consumed since last reset. This feature is not found in any of the audiophile power conditioners (not sure of PS Audio). It tells you how much energy your entire audio setup (which is connected to PDU) is consuming. Very nice feature to know the power bills.

Now coming to the crux, how does it sound. It took me just 5 mins of playback to realize that this is an amazing product. It has significantly improved the SQ of my system. All the regular superlatives apply in my case to the improvement like bass has become tighter, details have increased, micro-transients have improved, sense of black background is even more, music sounds more organic, notes decay for longer etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I am enjoying music even more now.

So does all this mean this is the perfect power conditioner? The answer is no. Here are some of the limitations of this PDU. First and the biggest one. This PDU has IEC C14 Female sockets for its output (the one commonly found in computers or data centers), so that means you cannot directly plug your fat audiophile power cord into this. You will need IEC C14 Male to US/Shuko plug adapter to use your power cords. But as Vladimir never had Audiophile market in his mind while designing his products this is understandable. Second is, while it’s excellent at blocking the EMI/RFI coming from all the places (conducted EMI), if you connect any noisy equipment to the same PDU that has your audio equipment attached to, then the EMI from noisy equipment will be transmitted to other equipment. While none of the audio components are that noisy, it’s not a deal breaker.

Besides that, I have given Vladimir feedback regarding these two points, and he has said that he will definitely look into it, especially the part related to the sockets, so that’s promising.

In the end I will just say that this is a fantastic piece of equipment that all audiophiles should have instead of no specs, all marketing audiophile products. Kudos to Vladimir for making such fantastic piece of equipment at sane price.

Regards,
Audio_phool

128x128audio_phool

The only type of power conditioner that actually does something is a DC blocker. All others are designed to drain the wallets of the gullible. 

One needs to measure the DC on the mains to really know if DC blockers is actually needed. If it's not sufficiently large then it's not a problem.

Whereas EMI is a real problem. Given that we have LEDs all over the house then Washing Machines, Dryer & all other equipment having either SMPS or VFD motors, they are going to pollute your mains with EMI. If you stay in an apartment then this is going to be a even bigger problem because of the common power line & ground.

As you have rightly mentioned the word power conditioner used for these is kind of a misnomer. They are more of EMI filters than actual power conditioners.

Regards,
Audio_phool

In my experience power amps are not really susceptible to EMI because of larger signals that they deal with. Hence if you connect a power amp to these EMI filters/Power conditioners you are not going to hear much of improvements.

Whereas if you connect your Digital equipment (like Dac, Streamer, Switches etc) or preamp or phono-pre which deal with smaller signal levels it will show you a lot more improvement.

In my experience connecting the LPS of DAC gave me remarkable improvement which is unmistakable & not a placebo effect when compared to connecting my integrated amp.

If anyone is really interested in knowing if their Power conditioner is really working or not, get a EMI meter by Trifield. This is general meter to give you idea about level of EMI pollution present. So one can check the EMI level at the wall outlet and how much reduction (if any ) is done by power conditioner by plugging into it.

https://trifield.com/products/em100-power-line-monitor

Regards,
Audio_phool

I am 100% happy with a Furman power strip in front, then a Tripplite power conditioner. You need to watch your peak watts input needed with the conditioner. It was easy for me with a 30wpc Primaluna. The 1800w power conditioner indicates compensation for low voltage down to 85vac to 145vac and holds the voltage to 120vac. Yesterday during a hot day, it registered high voltage compensation. My system has always sounded perfect with this setup. Relatively cheap and works for me. I always over rate on what I actually need because an isolation transformer will heat up under its rated load. Over rate for a longer life.

No problem pointing this product out to us.

We can check it out or not according to our interest.

No need to shoot the messenger.