A question about the Bryston BDA-3's HDMI inputs

Ever since I got my Cambridge Audio CXU disc player, I've been intrigued by the Bryston BDA-3 DAC, and this goes back a good few years now. The CA player can output DSD via HDMI, but very few DACS can accept this kind of connection. In fact, the BDA-3 is the only one I know of that can do it. However, the current protocol for DSD is I2s which also typically uses HDMI. Now it gets a little complicated...

I have a Shanling ET-3 CD transport that can output I2s over HDMI. While I don't think it can actually read an SACD disc, it can output DSD from USB drives so in that way can render these hi-res files. Otherwise, it's basically a redbook CD spinner with the capability of upsampling. So my question is, for those of you who have better knowledge of this protocol, can the BDA-3 interpret I2s data over an HDMI cable? 

I'm asking this because these Bryston DACs are being sold for a very attractive price these days on the used market. I've owned both a BDA-1 and a BDA-2 in the past so I do have some idea what the 3 will sound like. My current DAC is a Sonnet Morpheus which can only do I2s via an ethernet cable, and that really limits the choices. 

Advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

cooper52

I had bought the BDA-3 precisely for its ability to play the DSD from SACD over HDMI.  I use an Oppoo 105 to output theDSD.  I believe that @cleeds is correct here

I think this is the only thing that can do DSD from SACD disks via HDMI.

GeerFab Audio D.BOB Digital BreakOut Box (OPEN) – Upscale Audio

I use it to play my SACDs from a cheap OPPO. I use a Benchmark DAC3B to do the conversion of the digital steam I get from the D.BOB.

This TAS review of the BDA-3 seems to suggest that you can play sacd via the HDMI port here is an excerpt:

In head-shakingly stark contrast, SACD playback over HDMI from the Sony BDP-BX37 (used exclusively after the BDP-6200’s disc drawer mysteriously locked shut) sounded dramatically more open, incisive, controlled, focused, linear, and responsive to the ebb and flow of musical contour

Full review here:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bryston-bda-3-dac/

This TAS review of the BDA-3 seems to suggest that you can play sacd via the HDMI port

The BDA-3 can definitely play SACDs from an HDMI input, although few SACD players offer that option. The Oppo that @mahler123 is using is one of the few that does.