A moderate priced dac

I borrowed a musical fidelity tri vista 21 dac from a friend and I was very impressed with the sound compared to my parasound p5 pre. This dac is over 10 years old. Has the technology changed enough that a moderately price dac can compete?Any suggestions?
audiomaze
Audio mirror use a lot of junk look at Chinese connectors cheap sink , Elna silver selector switches night and day better fr $40then $3 junk zinc part
cheap Chinese $15 transformer ,not good , grounding also mentioned into question ,UL approved -I doubt it .
i almost bought it Lamoizator Amber 3 night and day better and tube rectifier not 50 cent diode and UL ,EU apprioved for $2750 
best sounding dac $6k or under. Look at 5 star review enjoy the music .com then hesr it for yourself.
Audio mirror use a lot of junk...
I was looking at DACs and the Audio Mirror looked nice, lots of folks talking about the great sound, etc. But I did see a few people open them up and do and "what for" and it was not so flattering. I ended up with something else because of those blogs, so if you're thinking about Audio Mirror you may want to look for those to help you make up your mind. That info may sway you, it may not.
In case you have not noticed the few recommendations of Denafrips Ares 2, I am going to repeat this again. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Don’t take our word for it. Do a bit of research and look at some YouTube reviews and find out for yourself why all the rage.
the Denafrips runs about $750 including shipping, the website price is in Singapore currency