A brief review of GR Research Bully

I was looking for speakers that would allow me to enjoy classic rock at reasonable volume. NOT at a venue volume. I don’t like loud music at all. Thus something that allows me to have full spectrum sound without having to crank in up. First I tried ProAc 38R, which were nice, but lacked bass at low volumes. Accuphase amp has loudness and tone controls, but they did not quite worked to my satisfaction.

So I ordered a pair of GR Research Bully, assembled. GR typically sells kits, but I am not into finishing cabinets so rather prefer it professionally done. It took about 12 weeks from the order to delivery. I did not buy matching stands and instead ordered custom metal made for me.

I am very satisfied. The bass section is powered - the amp is Rhythmik. It is, effectively, a subwoofer and is very adjustable - crossover frequency 40-120Hz, phase 0-180 and even includes parametric equalizer. This allowed me to adjust amount of bass to the volume level I prefer.

The speakers come with printed measurement chart (in GR Research room). I also performed a number of measurements in my room with UMIK-1 and REW for Windows. I could make frequency response pretty close to linear, but prefer a bump below 100 Hz to compensate for lower listening volumes. Waterfall is also very clean, no ringing.

Associated gear: Denafrips Terminator with DDC, Rega P6 + SoundSmith MC, Pass XP-12, Accuphase E650. The room is 30x16x8 with some acoustic panels and ASC Tube traps.

Room frequency response

Room waterfall

mikhailark

Thanks for the post. I looked at these in the past and thought they were interesting.

How about a little insight into how they sound?

@ozzy62 This is very subjective, my material may not be very "audiophile" :-). I would say, sound is clean and transparent. GR spends quite a bit of time on time alignment and off-axis response. The latter is actually very good. As compared to ProAc bullies sound really good even 20 degrees off axis, no need to be exactly in a sweet spot. In overall sound is typical for the type of units they employ - looks like a silk dome tweeter and plastic (?) cone mids. I personally prefer sound or planar tweeters, but I cannot say that Bully is ’forward’ sounding. As compared to my Meze Elite headphones some transparency is obviously lost and bass clarity and definition is not the same. But then again, we are talking room response vs top shelf cans.

It is probably possible to achieve similar results with stand mount speakers and two subs, but it probably will be more expensive for the same sound. What attracted me to GR is attention to engineering details rather than marketing and speaker appearance. I would say these days $5K is a bargain for the sound Bullies provide.

look that guy, spent an entire eposide reviewing some speakers without the bass drivers and pointed out the lack of bass the whole time, frequency response curves and all. hey why not listen to them WITH the bass driver(s) connected? maybe theyll measure beatter, einstein.

over the ohone he acknolwedged that the bass briver was missing and also claimed he doesnt review speakers, and last i checked the review os the megneppan minis are stll up. (cant remember if external links are alowed here, so read Flat Panel "Mini" Magnepan Audiophile Speakers!).

he has hisn moments,  but hes also unapologetically full of it. 

Well, I bought and assembled GR Researches NX-Oticas with Double trouble subs and they are Outstanding. Danny did a great job on those. I have heard the Brutes and the Bullies and in my opinion, great for rock. But as for full range, I prefer my Oticas. 

I think Danny provides a good service. He generally only "upgrades" speakers sent to him by customers who are unhappy with them in some way. He then evaluates them, and when he can (not always worth it or technically doable) offers a crossover upgrade or even in rare cases, a driver update, to make them sound "better". But GR Research’s bread and butter is DIY. He serves that market well.

He also partners with other speaker manufacturers to help them improve their models.

One thing that seems consistent is that at every price point from $300 to $8000, he finds that of course, "everything is built to a budget for mass manufacturing". They use cheap crossover parts, steel nuts and more in the signal path, and sometimes it looks like they didn’t even bother to do any real engineering on the speaker, i.e. out of phase all over the place between drivers, or a big hole in the response curve, etc.

So, in some cases possible better performance is left on the table. He offers people a way to get the most they can from whatever box he is sent. Sure, he has a bit of an ego, but he generally backs up what he says with before and after measurements.

At the end of the day not everyone has the room needed for something like his largest open baffle with huge servo subs. I bet they sound great in a room that could do them justice. I’m glad to see him look around at what is going on in the industry, (the popularity of vintage looking speakers from Wharfedale, JBL, KLH, and others) and offers his take on them in kit form. The Bully and Brute seem to hit a good spot. He has also recommended completed speakers from a few others.

He shows that consumers need to be more aware and become more knowledgeable before they fork over their hard-earned money.

If people want more speaker reviews with measurements and subjective comments, Erin’s Audio is also a good channel to watch.