300b lovers

I have been an owner of Don Sachs gear since he began, and he modified all my HK Citation gear before he came out with his own creations.  I bought a Willsenton 300b integrated amp and was smitten with the sound of it, inexpensive as it is.  Don told me that he was designing a 300b amp with the legendary Lynn Olson and lo and behold, I got one of his early pair of pre-production mono-blocks recently, driving Spatial Audio M5 Triode Masters.  

Now with a week on the amp, I am eager to say that these 300b amps are simply sensational, creating a sound that brings the musicians right into my listening room with a palpable presence.  They create the most open vidid presentation to the music -- they are neither warm nor cool, just uncannily true to the source of the music.  They replace his excellent Kootai KT88 which I was dubious about being bettered by anything, but these amps are just outstanding.  Don is nearing production of a successor to his highly regard DS2 preamp, which also will have a  unique circuitry to mate with his 300b monos via XLR connections.  Don explained the sonic benefits of this design and it went over my head, but clearly these designs are well though out.. my ears confirm it. 

I have been an audiophile for nearly 50 years having had a boatload of electronics during that time, but I personally have never heard such a realistic presentation to my music as I am hearing with these 300b monos in my system.  300b tubes lend themselves to realistic music reproduction as my Willsenton 300b integrated amps informed me, but Don's 300b amps are in a entirely different realm.  Of course, 300b amps favor efficient speakers so carefully component matching is paramount.

Don is working out a business arrangement to have his electronics built by an American audio firm so they will soon be more widely available to the public.  Don will be attending the Seattle Audio Show in June in the Spatial Audio room where the speakers will be driven by his 300b monos and his preamp, with digital conversion with the outstanding Lampizator Pacific tube DAC.  I will be there to hear what I expect to be an outstanding sonic presentation.  

To allay any questions about the cost of Don's 300b mono, I do not have an answer. 

whitestix

I have had the matching preamp running quite nicely for about 10 days and I will say the combination doesn't sound like anything I have ever heard.  First off, with my 97 dB speakers you literally have to put your ear to the woofer to know the system is on at idle (no hum).  The tube rush (hiss) varies with tubes used, but you pretty much have to have your ear to the HF driver to hear that at idle.  We are talking a Lampi Pacific DAC with DHT output stage feeding a tube preamp, which feeds the 300b amps.  All tubes and at idle it is as quiet as solid state. This gives a totally black background.   Lynn went his own way on the circuits and between the two of us we have turned them into working prototypes that are closing in on production models.   The working prototypes are what will be shown in Seattle.  Again, I hope many folks reading and participating in this lovely thread are able to come and hear them and give an honest opinion.  They do not sound like anything else I have built, or even heard.

I was proposing "Blackbird" as a product name for the amps, and Don said it is not just black like a raven, but "Intergalactic" black, which cracked me up (literal LOL) when he told me over the phone. Looking forward to meeting him at the show in person.

I can say the Amity, Karna, and the new amps sound nothing like other tube amps, whether SET, OTL, or conventional, or like transistor amps, either. I find them hard to describe, partly since I’ve been so close to them for the last twenty-five years (the first Amity came to life in 1998 or maybe earlier).

I’m trying to think of parallels ... maybe the first time you heard an electrostatic speaker? Kind of like that.

Don, looking forward to seeing you at the show with your working prototype.

Why the radio silence folks??? Where are the impressions from the show? Inquiring minds wanna know!