300 rpm motor for VPI

I just switched from a 600 RPM motor to 300 and it seems like the sound is not as balanced.  sounds louder in right channel than left.  Is it just a run in issue?
tzh21y
I am not sure how changing a motor would cause channel imbalance.  The platter is still running at 33.33 rpm.  Did you by chance bump the tonearm and/or cartridge during the motor set up?
Check the run-out on the 300pm motor pulley.  The pulley that came with my 300 RPM upgrade wobbled.  VPI replaced it. 
It seems like I saw some bass.  hearing more of my sub.  Maybe its run in issues
Agree with brf;  difficult to see how the motor could cause a channel imbalance.

However, I've found the Hurst motors to be very inconsistent;  I have some that are very noisy, others are near quiet, but they all exhibit vibration.  I believe the inconsistency is due mainly to the bearing design.

I've never been a fan of the 300 RPM motors.  Not only is the belt burn-out worse with the 300RPM pulley, but I also found that the 300 RPM motors to be noisier than the 600 RPM version due mainly to the higher power rating (7.5W for 300 RPM vs 5.5W for 600RPM in most cases):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/309925-hurst-motors-300-rpm-vs-600-rpm-upgrade-myth.html
Your new motor has nothing to do with what you are hearing, brf is right. Check your wiring, arm, cartridge alignment etc. as something got knocked out of whack. BTW, I have an HW-19 with a 600 rpm motor and a Prime with a 300 rpm motor and they both sound just fine to me. Don't let people discourage you about your new motor, it'll be just fine.
tzh21y, four years or so ago you posted a thread about your experience with going to the 300rpm motor and expressed dissatisfaction with the 300rpm motor due to increased noise; you decided to go back to the 600rpm motor. Is this the same unit that you are trying again?

I think that what you are hearing could, in fact, be do to the motor; especially if it is the same unit which may have issues. I think that the key may be your subwoofer. Question: where is your sub located relative to the main speakers? Contrary to popular opinion only the very lowest bass frequencies are, in fact, (mostly) non-directional. It is quite possible that if you have your sub positioned to the right of the soundstage that any low frequency noise, even if very subtle, that is being generated by the motor could skew the perceived balance in that direction. Did you try disconnecting the tt belt and turning on the motor with the stylus on a record to see which of the two motors is noisier?
Actually, I am back to the 600rpm.  the 300 is just does not sound right on the scout.  the 300, although sounds bigger, does not portray the music the way I like it.  The 300 gives a larger soundstage at the expense of just not sounding right.
you really need to look at the alignment on everything.  Eyeball the back of the tonearm at eye level and see if it looks level or if a side is lower than the other.  Look at the needle as you play a record at eye level to see if its perfectly perpendicular to the record.  

"Actually, I am back to the 600rpm. the 300 is just does not sound right on the scout."

tzh21y-I've been following this thread. So did going back to the 600RPM motor eliminate the problem? I personally questioned it being suspect, but audio problems can sometimes be logic defying.

I assume all HW-19's have the 5.5w version of the 600rpm motor. Is the same true for Aries 1's? Assuming the motor hasn't been changed out, of course.
believe it or not, part of the problem was that one of the speaker wires was on the floor, the other side was not and the azimuth was off slightly.
"believe it or not,part of the problem was the one of the speaker wires was on the floor,"

tzh21y-good to read you discovered your problem. If this was truly part of the situation, classic example of "logic defying"

Personally not in the cable lifter camp.