Zu Audio Modded Denon 103's

I bought a Zu Audio DL 103 Mk II cartridge - Grade 2 Prime cartridge for $1099 as a spare as my other cartridge was being repaired/inspected. At the time (September 2020), the cartridge sounded pretty good - this was my first modded DL 103. However, just as the cartridge was breaking in (~ 35 hours), I accidently hit my tonearm and sent it towards the platter and unfortunately snapped the cantilever right off. After a few cuss words, I realized there wasn't much I could do except send it in for a retip. So the next day, I sent it to VAS Audio to get it retipped. When Steve examined the cartridge, he told me that the right terminal of the cartridge was damaged internally and that due to the make of the cartridge (epoxy filled) that repairing it would be an issue. I then reached out to Zu Audio who confirmed that repair was not possible (after I sent the cartridge back to them) and the best they could do was offer me 20% off on a new cartridge. I definitely wasn't going to go down that route again - I tried to get the 20% discount on other Zu products, but was told that the offer was only good for cartridges. So, worst $1100 ever spent. I know accidents like this are isolated incidents, but it does happen. So those of you that are looking into the Zu modded Denon's - keep this in mind.

Since I didn't have another spare cartridge, Steve did send me one of his modded Denon's with a wooden body and elliptical stylus. The VAS cartridge sounded warmer and better than the Zu cartridge and at half the price. To those that are in the market for modded 103's there are tons of options out there - I would recommend giving VAS audio a try before pursuing the more expensive Zu Audio or other cartridges that use epoxy as fillers to add mass. This way if something goes wrong, at least there is the option to repair the cartridge.

128x128rdk777

Showing 4 responses by big_greg

Try Andy Kim - http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/

I bought a turntable with a Zu Audio DL- 103 (not the Mark II). It had a problem in one channel and i sent it to Andy. He repaired it and put a new cantilever and stylus on it and now it's one of my best cartridges. He said the epoxy makes it really hard to work on but he did it and turned it around very quickly. He charged me accordingly, but it was worth it.
Well if he can do it - why can't Zu? It's their cartridge.
They say there are no dumb questions... but I wonder how much of the thread you actually read.
  • Zu doesn't make cartridges
  • Zu doesn't re-tip cartridges
Also, I didn't say that Andy "could", only that he was able to fix mine.  He might not be able to fix the damaged terminal in yours.

I've seen those Zu cartridges and never could figure out why they were so much more than other DL-103 carts.
I wouldn't buy one. The only reason I have one is because it came with a turntable I bought. I have to say though after Andy Kim worked his magic on it it's pretty sweet.

Zu does modify the Denon 103 and brands their name them for a premium (~ 367% in this case). Well I guess that clears them of any maintenance type issues that one may encounter. While that seems to be okay with most people...
Even companies that actually make cartridges don't always re-tip them.  Why would you expect a company that doesn't make cartridges to have the skill set or the parts to be able to re-tip a cartridge?  Why didn't you contact Zu first if you thought they would re-tip it?  You sent it to VAS because you already knew that.  You realize that modifying other manufacturer's products usually voids a warranty?  Not that you breaking the cantilever would be a warranty issue.

It sucks that you're out a thousand bucks because of your carelessness, but why are you all mad at Zu about your mistake?  It's not that I'm "OK" with Zu not being able to do "maintenance" on the cartridge, it's more like why not be mad at the person that broke the cartridge?

Personally I wouldn't buy a Zu Denon because of many of the issues brought up in this thread - the cost, the epoxy in the body, and the fact that they don't actually make it.  They do have a lot of fans and I really like mine after it was re-tipped by Andy Kim, but you're taking a risk the moment you buy something that is "modified".