You're not a true audiophile unless...

I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen that start with something like this. Why are some people so anxious to qualify this like it's some sort of title? Being an "audiophile" isn't a concrete or objective thing like the citizenship of the country you were born in or being an MA. It's reflective of your hobby or taste, much like calling yourself a "foodie." Can anyone else chime in with some of the more ridiculous qualifications people have come up with for calling oneself an "audiophile?"

medium_grade

You seem to be under the impression that I was "likening" audiophilia to pedophilia. I was merely pointing to subliminal influences of words.

A audiophile is also sometimes called an audiophiliac which is also the name of Steve Guttenberg's Youtube channel. What other words rhyme with "audiophiliac."

Necrophiliac

Pedophiliac

Coprophiliac

Audiophiliac is part of a word group that is rather creepy.

@bolong

I agree with your thoughts regarding "phile'  usage.  It seems to me that using it      with "pedo" has somewhat tainted in when used  in combination with other words.  

A true audiophile can hear in music what most people can’t. When you can sit and feel the sound of a cymbal, bass or vocal.That can make you smile or chuckle to yourself. That's why spending and continuing to tweak a better system is so addicting.

@abnerjack

It's subtle and not worth lingering on too much, but the subject of subliminal "triggers" can be fascinating. My post was intended to be more of an "aside" than some grand revelation.

People say dinosaurs were the original audiophiles, this isn't true.

Caveman were the original audiophiles. It was due to their efforts that created interest in hearing that ushered in use of musical instruments to further sensitize that area within the brain. All this because if they didn’t develop great hearing they’d be dead because another creature would eat them and because of their desire to eat.

So surviving and eating was how this all started.