Yamaha RN-2000a

I'm looking to replace my MAC6700 receiver with something that sounds as good, but is a bit more reliable.  (I could insert a paragraph here about my McIntosh experiences but that's not the purpose of this post).  I've always preferred the integrated approach to hi-fidelity, but the selection of really good receivers that can be purchased new is pretty thin.  I still listen to FM and currently use a laptop as a music/streaming server.  I also have my TV  and Beogram turntable attached, so the MAC is really the center of my system.  I've looked at NAD, but I'm a bit old-school and prefer not to go class-D.  The Yamaha RN-2000a is about the only thing left that I can find.  I'd like to hear of any experiences good or bad that folks on this forum might have had with this unit.  Also, if someone knows a viable alternative, I'm happy to learn about it.  Best to all.

debench

This may be below the level that you operate in, but Emotiva makes a unit (TA2) that checks many boxes. It is an integrated amp with phono.DAC and FM tuner. 135/200 wpc into 8/4 ohms. Currently on sale for $899.

I have no vested interest in them, but I did purchase an amp and preamp from them that I'm pleased with.

If you are set on a new receiver this Magnum Dynalab just might be the ticket. BTW, the amp and preamp section is Sim Audio (Moon)!

https://www.magnumdynalab.com/md-209-hybrid-fm-receiver/

These are some great responses and you've all shined a light on possibilities that I hadn't known of or considered.

There were a few suggesting that just servicing my MAC6700 may be the way to go.  Here's the story:

I had a milestone birthday 11 years ago.  I had always wanted a McIntosh system and the 6700 was newly introduced just then so I thought it to be perfect gift to myself;  I was delighted with my purchase - amazing sound in every dimension.  The unit came with a 3 year warranty; one month past that, the right VU meter quit.  Mac was good enough to pay my local service guy for the repair so no big deal.  Not too much later, Microsoft stopped Windows 7 support so I had to upgrade my music server to Windows 10.  It turns out that Win10 is incompatible with the Mac hardware driver - the system crashes after about 5 minutes.  I think I may have been one of the first to alert Mac of this problem - there is no solution nor does Mac intend to work on a fix.  In desperation, I had my service guy upgrade the Mac firmware; no luck.  So I've been using an outboard DAC (Schitt modi); huge performance drop.  (btw - I also tried to make the onboard DAC work with Win11 and IOS, no good).  About 2 years ago, the dials stopped working.  I called Mac, and arranged to ship it to Binghamton for a thorough going-over. 11 months later and $1000 lighter the unit returned with many, but not all of the issues I had identified resolved.  Mac also fixed a few things that I didn't know about.  Not long after, the tuner started fritzing again and the remote stopped working. I ordered an updated remote from Mac...it's OK, but is not a complete match to the original.  Bottom line: the legendary McIntosh quality that I thought my $6700 would buy 11 years ago is not in evidence.  As they say: "this is not your father's McIntosh".   In short, I'm reluctant to spend any more money on Mac stuff.  An aside: the HK 880 VXi that I bought sometime in the 80's and that the Mac replaced is still running strong in another location.

grislybutter: the "box of nails" sound is not what I'm looking for.  Thanks for that.  Message received.

yyzsantabarbara: a good used tuner is an interesting suggestion.  I've come to really like HD fm; my MAC6700 has that feature enabling really good fidelity and some additional sub-band stations.  In my view, it's a technology that hasn't been pushed effectively.  It's curious that later production MAC6700 units do not feature HD nor does the MAC7200 (at least when I last looked).  I do appreciate the suggestion, however.  One that I hadn't considered....maybe I will.

lig98ljk: I'll look into Motiva, I think it's class-D though.

yogiboy: I'll look into Magnum Dynalab.  There's a dealer near me.  I have to admit I've not heard of them before your suggestion. 

Thanks and best to all!

Friend has the Outlaw receiver. It has been surprisingly good in reliability and sound especially for $900. He bought it to replace an old NAD integrated. It is driving some dynaudio monitors and  previously drove Roger's LS3/5 A 15ohm model. I  think it is better quality than lots of $1500 units. Class AB not D.  I am not a lover of it's vintage look but have considered it for a backup unit as it sounds way better than it looks and costs. I belive it has a trial period program too. It's direct to consumer.